Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 6,487 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I were preapproved about a month ago & are now under contract on a new construction house. When I first started 'shopping' for our preapproval, I had three different lenders tell me that we would not get approved because of my husbands commission income. He has been with his company for about 18 months now, but he started with being paid hourly and was just promoted about 4 months ago and now receives base + commission. His commission is much more than his base , so we would not qualify for much on his base alone. Well, I was referred to another loan officer who told me his short commission history would be no problem and got us preapproved by getting a Verification of Employment for my husband's boss stating that his commission is guaranteed. & the amount he is guaranteed to receive each week. My LO assured me that he has gotten loans approved this way before, but I have googled until I am blue in the face and have not found one other person with this situation. Any info anyone can offer would be great! We are going USDA Guaranteed. My husband will make about 60k/year and I also run a little small business where I net about $2500/yr. Our mid credit scores are 728 & 734 with no negative marks , no collections , etc. & the purchase price of our house is $180k. We have one car note that is $380/month and we have about $100 in minimum credit card payments each month. Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
How is his company going to write a letter that says he has a "guaranteed" commission? Commission is based on performance/sales or else it would be his base salary. I don't see this happening.

However, if you mean "new construction" as in it's going to take several months to build the house to where there would be at least 12 months of commission history, that might be a different story... but based on history with my own clients, I don't see it working...

Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM

He is a truck driver and doesn't have to push sales. He has scheduled routes and just restocks the food. The stores don't just stop selling food, so his commission never really fluctuates more than a couple dollars per week. Of course, his company also has years worth of sales records for the same stores run by other drivers. They aren't actually selling anything .. the stores do the selling. They just refill. I feel the same way you do though , so hesitant.

It is taking several months to be built .. but should be ready by mid-late November. So he still will have only been receiving commission for 8-9 months.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyraine87 View Post
He is a truck driver and doesn't have to push sales. He has scheduled routes and just restocks the food. The stores don't just stop selling food, so his commission never really fluctuates more than a couple dollars per week. Of course, his company also has years worth of sales records for the same stores run by other drivers. They aren't actually selling anything .. the stores do the selling. They just refill. I feel the same way you do though , so hesitant.

It is taking several months to be built .. but should be ready by mid-late November. So he still will have only been receiving commission for 8-9 months.
Won't be able to use commission without a 2 year history.

From an underwriter's POV...If it is 'guaranteed' why wouldn't they just make it base pay?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Because it is still based on sales. So that wouldn't work. I know what commission is, which is why I am having a hard time believing that this will work out, but I have stressed my concerns to my LO very clearly and he ensures me he's done them this way before. So I guess I am just clinging to some hope here, lol.

I guess I'll know soon enough. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages