Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 22,234 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here know how many names can go under 1 mortgage? My mother-in-law is starting to get older so we're thinking of letting her move in with us. In order for us to purchase a house big enough we will probably have to use her income as well. So can she go on the mortgage with us so we will have 3 buyer's in all? Just wondering......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 12:37 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creditchallenged View Post
Does anyone here know how many names can go under 1 mortgage? My mother-in-law is starting to get older so we're thinking of letting her move in with us. In order for us to purchase a house big enough we will probably have to use her income as well. So can she go on the mortgage with us so we will have 3 buyer's in all? Just wondering......
My dopey neighbor has himself and both his parents on the mortgage. This I know from property tax records that are online. 3 people on a mortgage is acceptable.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
If she is older I would NOT put her on the mortgage. If you did then part of YOUR home becomes part of HER estate. I would more likely set up a family living trust that would include all incomes but spell out exactly in black & white who owns/trustee what and who becomes the trustee/owner when any one that is a trustee dies. Then the whole issue of if she must go into a nursing home. A lot of states assume the property to help fund the expense of nursing home care. In Texas all personal property including bank accounts must be out of the persons name for at least 4 years prior. Get a good attorney to set up a family trust and to advise you before you do anything like that.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:16 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If she is older I would NOT put her on the mortgage. If you did then part of YOUR home becomes part of HER estate. I would more likely set up a family living trust that would include all incomes but spell out exactly in black & white who owns/trustee what and who becomes the trustee/owner when any one that is a trustee dies. Then the whole issue of if she must go into a nursing home. A lot of states assume the property to help fund the expense of nursing home care. In Texas all personal property including bank accounts must be out of the persons name for at least 4 years prior. Get a good attorney to set up a family trust and to advise you before you do anything like that.
Mom of2 is exactly right. We went through this with my grandparent's who are now in a nursing home. The house was taken out of their name 4 yrs before they entered the nursing home. If they were not taken off all the monies would have gone to the state. Right on momof2dfw.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Thanks patti.

What is really sad are the people that as the get older think that their family is trying to rob them when they are only trying to protect them. They refuse to put their money somewhere safe like in trusts. They refuse to sign the house/property over to their kids (the, they'll kick me out and throw me in a nasty ol nursing home and never come mentality). I have one family member that is 87 years old, owns her home right out, still has the savings bonds that she bought for HER kids when they were kids for their birthdays and refuses to give them to them. Won't spend a dime to even fix the toilet in her house (she "might need that money when I get old" is her line). YOUR 87 YEARS OLD!!! HOW MUCH OLDER ARE YOU GOING TO GET?!?!? I seriously want to find some kind of uhaul that says you can take it with you to give her. Our fear is that someone is going to take advantage of her but she flat out refuses to listen to anyone that is trying to protect her and cares about her. We know she got took on the lease she signed last year for the mineral rights on the old family property but she refuses to let any other family members involved w/ it do the dealing. It is really sad. All she thinks about is how much money she has but one spend a dime of it and is scared she is going to die and loose it. Oh well.

My parents are only in their 60's and looking to move. The house they buy will be in my name or rather a family living trust that the 3 of us are the trustees of. That way whenever anything does happen to them there is no issue of who owns what.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:35 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree more!

Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Thanks patti.

What is really sad are the people that as the get older think that their family is trying to rob them when they are only trying to protect them. They refuse to put their money somewhere safe like in trusts. They refuse to sign the house/property over to their kids (the, they'll kick me out and throw me in a nasty ol nursing home and never come mentality). I have one family member that is 87 years old, owns her home right out, still has the savings bonds that she bought for HER kids when they were kids for their birthdays and refuses to give them to them. Won't spend a dime to even fix the toilet in her house (she "might need that money when I get old" is her line). YOUR 87 YEARS OLD!!! HOW MUCH OLDER ARE YOU GOING TO GET?!?!? I seriously want to find some kind of uhaul that says you can take it with you to give her. Our fear is that someone is going to take advantage of her but she flat out refuses to listen to anyone that is trying to protect her and cares about her. We know she got took on the lease she signed last year for the mineral rights on the old family property but she refuses to let any other family members involved w/ it do the dealing. It is really sad. All she thinks about is how much money she has but one spend a dime of it and is scared she is going to die and loose it. Oh well.

My parents are only in their 60's and looking to move. The house they buy will be in my name or rather a family living trust that the 3 of us are the trustees of. That way whenever anything does happen to them there is no issue of who owns what.
.........Funny!

Old 09-07-2019, 07:25 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krek87 View Post
The true about mortgages:

< video removed >
Hmmmm, you joined 2 days ago and posting this persons video, what, 3 or is it 4 times now?

I smell a schill.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:16 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
The problem with real estate in a trust is that lenders want to lend to people not paper. You might find it difficult to get a mortgage if the property is owned by a trust.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:20 AM

276 posts, read 230,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL little foot View Post
My dopey neighbor has himself and both his parents on the mortgage. This I know from property tax records that are online. 3 people on a mortgage is acceptable.

I Believe tax records are based on ownership. You can be on title and not be on the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages