U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,517,379 times

Advertisements

I'm going to make a long story short

I'm 23, I make great money and have great credit. The issue is I have only about 6 months of work history in a job that's almost all commission (I sell cars and my job is 90% commission). I have about 3 years of credit history.

How long will it take before I can get a mortgage loan? I can't get my parents to co sign for me cause their credit sucks. Would a bank give me a loan with let's say a year and a half of work history, 10-20% down payment and 750+ credit score?

Is there any way to bypass that whole 2 year of work history thing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,355,616 times
2 years of work history is common. If not at the same company, a similiar line of work or working at a different company is generally seen as OK.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,517,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
2 years of work history is common. If not at the same company, a similiar line of work or working at a different company is generally seen as OK.

I have about 6 months of work history here but I was in school before that and didn't work for the last year and a half before that

Would it possible for me to get approved for a loan in a shorter time period than 2 years of work history?

Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 PM

4,281 posts, read 11,331,589 times
The 90% commission could be a stumbling block as some will not count commissions as salary. I know one couple that make very good money but both were very dependent on commissions versus salary and they had major issues getting a mortgage. They finally did put a large down payment down and had to carry mortgage insurance.

I wish you the best. Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or