Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 PM

380 posts, read 2,351,231 times

Advertisements

So after reading all the raves about Amica, I called them 2 weeks ago to get a quote for a house we're in escrow for. I got a quote but was told it needed approval from the local office (northern california). Supposed to hear back 2 days later but never did. Started calling again this past Monday, told I should hear in 2 days, but again didn't hear. Tried again yesterday and today. It's been frustrating as I expected such good service, I can only imagine what it'd be like if I had an actual claim and wasn't just trying to give them my money. In fact, trying to give them lots of money since I'm seeking a bundle for home, earthquake, flood, auto and umbrella policies.

Anyway, called again today. Woman on phone said underwriter will not approve the policy until they get a house inspection based on our application. She said they always get an inspection but that this time they need it before they issue the policy. I asked her what part of the application was a problem but she said she couldn't disclose that. We have excellent credit, never filed a claim on our renter's or car insurance. The house we're buying has had one claim we know of that was for a tree that knocked down part of a fence.

Is this so unusual? I had no problems getting offerings from other insurance companies and will probably just go with someone else so we can close escrow.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Some insurance comapnies are in fact much hard to insure with. At one time Aetna was this way;and had a high turn down rate.Insurance companies are getting more and more careful inwriting policies having apyed out so much in claims for mold and other thngs in certain areas.Some even refuse to write new policies in certain states. I am sure that the fires in california will have the same consequence as it has on the coast al states with hurricanes. It has gooten high to insured a home there and many staes have had to adopt a pool system where you do not have a choice of companies but are assigned disaster parts.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:18 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
I've contacted Amica for both car and home insurance in the past, and both times met with profound disinterest. My feeling is that they're satisfied with their customer base and aren't really going after new business. Personally I'd rather work with a company that takes an interest in serving their customers.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
My feeling is that they're satisfied with their customer base and aren't really going after new business.
That's exactly how they made me feel. I'm glad to hear it might not just be me -- I hate rejection.

Thank you both for your replies. I feel a little better now.

Still not sure if we want to try to jump through their hoops, esp if we end up getting rejected -- is that something that follows us, ie, will other insurers see that they rejected us and follow suit, or is it something that ends up on our credit report?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:59 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeen View Post
That's exactly how they made me feel. I'm glad to hear it might not just be me -- I hate rejection.

Thank you both for your replies. I feel a little better now.

Still not sure if we want to try to jump through their hoops, esp if we end up getting rejected -- is that something that follows us, ie, will other insurers see that they rejected us and follow suit, or is it something that ends up on our credit report?
I used to be an underwriter for Amica. They are very, very picky about who they insure. IF you are accepted, they are very good with claims. DM me for more details if you are interested.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:06 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I used to be an underwriter for Amica. They are very, very picky about who they insure. IF you are accepted, they are very good with claims..
Interesting! I applied with totally clean driving, claim and credit histories, and basically got a big yawn from them, while an out-of-state friend of mine has (or had?) them as a carrier even though they had to file several claims for accidents. Doesn't matter to me, there's plenty of other insurance companies out there (my current company actually sent me a nice little check last year for keeping a clean record ).

Old 07-12-2008, 06:55 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I don't know where you live, so it could be that they just aren't interested in increasing business in your area. Other reasons might be the type of car you own, where it is parked during the day and overnight, if you live in an environment where there are a lot of claims filed, or possibly even your profession.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I used to be an underwriter for Amica. They are very, very picky about who they insure. IF you are accepted, they are very good with claims. DM me for more details if you are interested.
Ok, I guess I won't take it too personally.

I called them back and they said to forward a copy of our home inspection report. If their underwriter says it's ok, they'll then issue a binder subject to their doing their own inspection after closing.

So they don't totally hate me -- yet.

Thank you so much for the info.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Interesting! I applied with totally clean driving, claim and credit histories, and basically got a big yawn from them, while an out-of-state friend of mine has (or had?) them as a carrier even though they had to file several claims for accidents. Doesn't matter to me, there's plenty of other insurance companies out there (my current company actually sent me a nice little check last year for keeping a clean record ).
That is bizarre about accepting your friend vs. you.

But the check you got from your current carrier sounds like a nice consolation prize. Never heard of that. Can I ask who you use?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I don't know where you live, so it could be that they just aren't interested in increasing business in your area. Other reasons might be the type of car you own, where it is parked during the day and overnight, if you live in an environment where there are a lot of claims filed, or possibly even your profession.
Wow, your profession? I can understand how it might affect your insurability for umbrella policy, or car insurance, but homeowner's? That's interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages