Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:14 AM

69 posts, read 243,749 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a HELOC for some home improvements but I believe prime will rise in the not too distant future, making a variable rate loan a risky proposition.

TD Bank has a fixed rate HELOC option (this is still a HELOC, not Home Equity Loan) with a 15 year fixed rate of 4.49%. There is only a $99 loan origination fee and a $50 annual fee after the first year. Principal will be repaid on the fixed rate option during the draw period. There is no early repayment penalty and the line of credit can be terminated with no penalty after three years.

Seems pretty attractive. Has anyone elected for a similar loan recently? How did your terms compare? Any potential pitfalls?

Tipsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 10:45 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,972 times
Make sure you factor in those fees to your interest rates.

Let's say you think you're going to borrow $5,000 against the HELOC.

$5,000 @ 4.5% = $225/yr + $50 fee + ($99/15) = $281/yr in interest/fees.

That's actually roughly equivalent to a 5.63% rate. Not horrible as far as loan rates go, but it's something to be aware of. With an annual fee, the less you borrow, the higher your effective rate becomes(Extreme example, borrow only $1 and you're paying a rate of 5600%). At the same time, the reverse is true and as you borrow more, the fee becomes a smaller portion of your interest.

$25,000 @ 4.5% = $1125/yr + $50 fee + ($99/15) = $1181/yr in interest/fees. Which is only a 4.72% rate.

Just keep in mind that no matter what, you'll always be higher than 4.5% because of fees.

Edit: I just realized there's no $50 for the first year, but you get the point. I just don't feel like redoing the numbers.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the response. I realize the fees to affect the bottom line. But with the potential for prime to increase, especially with the presidential election less than two years away, 4.5% seems like a fairly aggressive rate, no?

The reality is that I'd take fairly large cash draw to pay for a room addition (approximately $45K), and then repay the loan as aggressively as possible. Once repaid, I'd close the HELOC.

Tipsy

Old 11-07-2014, 08:15 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
Thanks for the response. I realize the fees to affect the bottom line. But with the potential for prime to increase, especially with the presidential election less than two years away, 4.5% seems like a fairly aggressive rate, no?

The reality is that I'd take fairly large cash draw to pay for a room addition (approximately $45K), and then repay the loan as aggressively as possible. Once repaid, I'd close the HELOC.

Tipsy
What is the rate and term on your first mortgage?

Old 11-07-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
What is the rate and term on your first mortgage?
2 1/2 years into a 15 year at 3.25%.

Tipsy

Old 11-08-2014, 11:13 AM

What would be your rate on a new 15 fixed, cash out, no cost loan? You need to consider your loan balances and look at your blended rate.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
What would be your rate on a new 15 fixed, cash out, no cost loan? You need to consider your loan balances and look at your blended rate.
I'll have to look at the 15 year rates. I'd rather not do a full refi but I guess I need to explore that option, if it makes the most financial sense.

Tipsy

Old 11-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I'll have to look at the 15 year rates. I'd rather not do a full refi but I guess I need to explore that option, if it makes the most financial sense.

Tipsy
If the 1st is a small amount, it won't pencil out. If it is large is might.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Quote:
I'm considering a HELOC for some home improvements but I believe prime will rise in the not too distant future, making a variable rate loan a risky proposition.

TD Bank has a fixed rate HELOC option (this is still a HELOC, not Home Equity Loan) with a 15 year fixed rate of 4.49%. There is only a $99 loan origination fee and a $50 annual fee after the first year. Principal will be repaid on the fixed rate option during the draw period. There is no early repayment penalty and the line of credit can be terminated with no penalty after three years.

Seems pretty attractive. Has anyone elected for a similar loan recently? How did your terms compare? Any potential pitfalls?

Tipsy
How much equity do you have in your home? Will you need at least $25K?

Try Penfed. Their 5/5 HELOC product is 3.75%. Not fixed for 15 years but you will be good for 5 years before rate is adjusted.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
How much equity do you have in your home? Will you need at least $25K?

Try Penfed. Their 5/5 HELOC product is 3.75%. Not fixed for 15 years but you will be good for 5 years before rate is adjusted.
Equity is close to 50%. Yes, I'd likely need about $40K. I'll have a look at Penfed.

I spoke to a couple of lenders and refi doesn't seem like the right way to go. I'm currently at 3.25%. The rates I've been quoted have been higher than that. With several thousand in closing costs, it doesn't make sense when compared to the fixed rate HELOC.

Tipsy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages