U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,458 times

Advertisements

I'm refinancing my primary residence and ran into a problem.

There are two liens on my s-corporation placed by the state 6 years ago for unpaid unemployment taxes of approximately $3000. The unemployment taxes weren't paid because I actually owed less than $500 but the state estimated a much higher amount and said that because I hadn't corrected the estimate within 30 days that I had to pay their estimated amount and not the actual taxes due.

The liens are placed against the assets of the corporation only and are not placed against the residence or against me personally. The title company is telling the bank (large national bank) that they will not provide title insurance unless I pay the liens. I have told the bank that the liens are not against the property itself that it should not not be an issue for the title company. There is no income from the corporation used to qualify for the loan and the corporation is not involved in the refinance at all. The title company is not willing to let this issue go.

I have refinanced two investments properties twice each in the past year and this hasn't been an issue.

Again - the liens are not against the property or myself as an individual but only against the assets of the s-corporation but the title company won't let it go. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM

3,805 posts, read 8,880,537 times
Contact the title company(ies) that handled the investment properties. Use them again for this transaction.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,458 times
Thanks for the reply.

I already asked the bank that and they won't let me use a different title company. I spent all day trying to deal with this today and nobody at the bank seems to understand the difference between me as an individual and my corporation.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 AM

3,805 posts, read 8,880,537 times
Then you are with not only the wrong title company, but the wrong bank as well. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but doesn't that seem to make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages