Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

I know Usda loan is a type of federal loan,but you don't even need a down payment for that!

Anyone have a Usda loan that they can tell me about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
USDA loans have more favorable terms than FHA in that they do not require a down payment, and the monthly mortgage insurance component is .04% as opposed to FHA's .135%. (Mortgage insurance varies for different loan types for fha, i'm using the standard future 30 year rate)

However, USDA eligibility is both geographically and economically based. USDA loan-eligible areas tend to be in more rural areas - - or what were rural 5-10 years ago, depending on how well the mapping is updated.

Also, while borrowers have the same debt ratio requirements as FHA, there is also an income CEILING for USDA borrowers, usually in the $79k range, after deductions for dependents, etc.

Use this website to learn more (it is USDA's, not mine or any other bank's): Welcome

Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Also, USDA requires a higher credit score in addition to a 2% funding fee that they roll into your loan. You're paying 0% at closing, but when you sell, that 2% fee is getting paid somehow and it's in the back-end.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
Credit score thresholds, at least where I work, are identical: 640 minimum mid-fico for FHA, VA and USDA.

There is also a large up-front Mortgage Insurance Premium for FHA loans as well.

If you make "little enough" money (yes, that sounds weird to me, too), and the home you like is in a USDA-eligible area, you would obtain the same rate as FHA, but with 1/3 of the monthly Mortgage Insurance cost.

Here's an idea: if you want to make up for that 2% funding fee when you sell (if you have to sell that quickly), go FSBO, or cut a deal with your realtor to pay them 1.5% on the sell and buy side.

(Here comes the BOOM!)

Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,516 times
If your income is low, run the calculator to see if you qualify for a USDA direct loan. By far the best deal around.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 51,284 times
We are in the middle of it right now!
Our application was going to the underwriter today !
We decided on jan 7th to buy a house,got preapproved rather quickly, ,found 2 house jan 12th,put an offer on one ,went back and forth and decided to make an offer on a foreclosure on jan 22nd.the foreclosure is a homepath house ,and only 5 years old ,in a very good shape.
Went thru the home inspection,appraisal,and now we are waiting !
Our tentative closing is set for march 8th .

The bank that owns the house was very easy to deal with : they agreed to pay 3% of the closing,a home warranty,a termite bond and more! And we are buying the house at roughly $ 45,000 under market value.
We did put $1000 earnest money that will be given back to us at closing!
And we were able to lok our rate at 3.375%

Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM

42 posts, read 147,936 times
we are going through the process of closing with usda right now , its been extremely easy .. we qualified and our lender laid out the differences , our monthly payments will be lower than if we had a fha loan and we will end up paying back less as well

Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 36,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero56 View Post
We are in the middle of it right now!
Our application was going to the underwriter today !
We decided on jan 7th to buy a house,got preapproved rather quickly, ,found 2 house jan 12th,put an offer on one ,went back and forth and decided to make an offer on a foreclosure on jan 22nd.the foreclosure is a homepath house ,and only 5 years old ,in a very good shape.
Went thru the home inspection,appraisal,and now we are waiting !
Our tentative closing is set for march 8th .

The bank that owns the house was very easy to deal with : they agreed to pay 3% of the closing,a home warranty,a termite bond and more! And we are buying the house at roughly $ 45,000 under market value.
We did put $1000 earnest money that will be given back to us at closing!
And we were able to lok our rate at 3.375%

What bank did you work with. We are looking for a lender but haven't seen a rate this low.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:17 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyasmail2005 View Post
What bank did you work with. We are looking for a lender but haven't seen a rate this low.
You won't be able to see a rate this low as that rate was posted back in February. Rates went up about 1.5% last month. You're probably never going to see rates that low again...

Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You won't be able to see a rate this low as that rate was posted back in February. Rates went up about 1.5% last month. You're probably never going to see rates that low again...
It is funny, as we have an interest rate that is 3.875% and think that is just great. The funny thing is that I get letters from lenders asking us to refinance to there amazing low rates. When I see the rates I laugh as all are over 4%, I think the last one was close to 4.5%.

As for us, we are keeping our 3.875% loan untill it is paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages