U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,434 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I am currently in a land contract with an agreed upon purchase price of 135k (this was a "family price"). Over the past 18 months we have made improvements to the home and the neighborhood has gotten "hot". Zillow is estimating our house to be worth 230k right now. We plan on talking to the bank in the spring about financing the home and getting out of the land contract. I realize zillow may not be 100% accurate but even if the home is assessed at 200k that's what would be considered instant equity correct? With this potential instant equity could I be looking at a 0 down home loan? My credit score is around 680 but I do have 2 years with 100k+ income.

Thanks in Advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 PM

936 posts, read 1,980,448 times
Yes, that is how it works.

I've bought plenty of houses on contract that I later refinanced out of. It used to be that you'd recommend a minimum of 5 years on the balloon payment so that the contract purchaser had time to build up around 20% equity. That allowed the purchaser to then refinancing out of the contract without having to pay PMI.

Just a technical consideration- different lenders handle paying off a contract differently. I found that the local lenders considered me paying off a contract with a refinance to be a no-cash-out type of transaction because refi's weren't allowing any cash out at that time. I wanted to pull money out of my house (was an investment) so I wrote up a sales contract with the contract seller at a sales price that represented its market value. The lender then treated that as a sale, and as such, I was able to pull equity out upon closing. The contract seller got paid their balance and I was able to get a check for the equity at closing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages