Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Most people have famalies with 2 working parents by that age... Some people have better houses by that age, some have no house at all...Owning a 63K home - I am not sure what status symbol it represents...
Buying a house it's not "3 months of thinking" decision.
You need to look at your budget, save some money for "just in case" or that house will be your next disaster. You have very limited idea of owning the house.
It means you have arrived into the middle class.
Judging what I've read on this forum,that seems to be the defining factor for middle class.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Judging what I've read on this forum,that seems to be the defining factor for middle class.
You keep ignoring good points other people brought to your attention. Instead, you keep the same position of "I am not changing anything and I want my house because my family wants me to buy a house".
1) go and get loan with no downpayment
2) go and try to buy 63K-90K houses you were talking about
3) come back here and share your experience
I am not exactly getting why you were on this forum at all... as far as I know noone needs forum approval to get a house. I don't recall anyone here who would lend you money.
Being superbusy mom of 3 with bunch of overtime hours, you spend way too much time on this forum. If you have time, try couponing as somebody above suggested and you will not spend as much as you do.

I have a bigger family (husband, kids) and manage to spend $400 per months for groceries including organic dairy + organic veggies and fruits. We cook from the scratch. We take home made lunches everyday to work. We spend $50 for toilettes - including towel papers, napkins, toilet paper, cleaning supplies (for 3 bathrooms!), personal items, shampoo, make up... It doesn't mean everything is so cheap where I live, no, we just know how to spend money wisely.

Some people can manage to live comfortable for 60K and some have no money left for anything even though they make 100K. Last categoty tend to being "house poor" no matter what.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:

Not at all. After 3-5 years it means you probably have established a sustainable residence, regardless of your class.

10 Years ago the WSJ published an article saying you need to make over $200K to be "middle class" in your area. Doubt that has gone down any in the meantime

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
You keep ignoring good points other people brought to your attention. Instead, you keep the same position of "I am not changing anything and I want my house because my family wants me to buy a house".
1) go and get loan with no downpayment
2) go and try to buy 63K-90K houses you were talking about
3) come back here and share your experience
I am not exactly getting why you were on this forum at all... as far as I know noone needs forum approval to get a house. I don't recall anyone here who would lend you money.
Being superbusy mom of 3 with bunch of overtime hours, you spend way too much time on this forum. If you have time, try couponing as somebody above suggested and you will not spend as much as you do.

I have a bigger family (husband, kids) and manage to spend $400 per months for groceries including organic dairy + organic veggies and fruits. We cook from the scratch. We take home made lunches everyday to work. We spend $50 for toilettes - including towel papers, napkins, toilet paper, cleaning supplies (for 3 bathrooms!), personal items, shampoo, make up... It doesn't mean everything is so cheap where I live, no, we just know how to spend money wisely.

Some people can manage to live comfortable for 60K and some have no money left for anything even though they make 100K. Last categoty tend to being "house poor" no matter what.
What part don't you understand,that I live in NJ?
Its considered one of the most expensive parts on America to live in....geez.

I bet you live in the midwest or the south. I hate when people from the cheaper parts of america tell me about spening too much when they have NO idea how expensive it is here.
You think I don't make my own meals and lunches? Well I do,except that's hard to do when there isn't a fridge. So most times I just end up bringing fruit,and when I do 16 hr shifts there isn't a choice but to spend 5 on a meal.

Go back and read please..
WHEN DID I EVER ASK FOR MONEY? WHEN? NOT ONCE!
GET OVER YOURSELF......

I know what you think.....you think I'm of a certain demographic that shouldn't own a home. What exactly is YOUR issue?
In your head,you have something against single moms. It must make you really angry that a single mom could make that much? I just don't know what your problem is.
Now can you stop replying to my thread if you are going to have attitude?

Look all the way at the bottom...this is a popular question in the real estate section.
Take a look at the first one...the person is asking about qualifying for a mortgage and they get SSDI. So I'm not sure why you asked me that

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Well that's for 2 cas though. Plus, I live in Newark.
I know, and you put a lot of milage on per week also (if I read THAT correctly).

Who is your carrier?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Not at all. After 3-5 years it means you probably have established a sustainable residence, regardless of your class.

10 Years ago the WSJ published an article saying you need to make over $200K to be "middle class" in your area. Doubt that has gone down any in the meantime
I believe the article,but the feds say otherwise......

Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I know, and you put a lot of milage on per week also (if I read THAT correctly).

Who is your carrier?

Nj Cure.

I've always read they have the cheapest around.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
What part don't you understand,that I live in NJ?
Its considered one of the most expensive parts on America to live in....geez.

I bet you live in the midwest or the south. I hate when people from the cheaper parts of america tell me about spening too much when they have NO idea how expensive it is here.
You think I don't make my own meals and lunches? Well I do,except that's hard to do when there isn't a fridge. So most time s I just end up bringing fruit,and when I do 16 hr shifts there isn't a choice but to spend 5 on a meal.
Jerseygal, from one Jersey girl to another, my family is mostly still in NJ, I grew up in Kearny (Hudson County and across the river from Newark), and I most recently lived in Staten Island, NYC. I know the prices there and I have told you twice that you are spending way too much on food, hba (health and beauty aids), and cleaning supplies. Simply saying you shop at Aldi's is part of your problem. BTW, there's a Pathmark on Ferry Street in ironbound when you want some great savings. There's another Pathmark in Belleville and one in Kearny on Passaic Ave. There's a Shoprite only a block away in Kearny. There's a Stop&Shop in Jersey City on 440 near the Bayonne Bridge. There's more but that's just to show you that I do know the prices near you. You aren't taking advantage of the sales in the other markets. Personally, I don't like Aldi's but shopped there once in a while for one of their sales. Their every day low prices do not compete with the sale prices at many of the other stores, specifically ShopRite which has some of the best - not to discount the great sales on luncheon meats I would get twice a year, minimum, at A&P when it was combined with coupons.

I had a total grocery budget of less than $100 per month for 2 including my donations to a family of 6 of nearly $100 worth of groceries/hba each month and a donation monthly to the food bank/soup kitchen. Not everyone can do it because I also had an extra freezer and 2 extra fridges, as well as a lot of storage space. But you can lower your spending.

You can do it and eat well. If you'd like more details, send me a DM and I'll explain how and provide you with others' stories on how they do it.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
all banking institutions are monitored as to loans and jst now many are highly secured by either equity or by asets of value. They bascially can get into problems not have the right mix because it means they need more bank funds(not depositors) to cover possible loasses on rick. With tighting altho i theory its poosible ;i rality of lenders positons its not likely. It often more than just dowen payment nles ist a very high rate that makes risk more worth taking.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Jerseygal, from one Jersey girl to another, my family is mostly still in NJ, I grew up in Kearny (Hudson County and across the river from Newark), and I most recently lived in Staten Island, NYC. I know the prices there and I have told you twice that you are spending way too much on food, hba (health and beauty aids), and cleaning supplies. Simply saying you shop at Aldi's is part of your problem. BTW, there's a Pathmark on Ferry Street in ironbound when you want some great savings. There's another Pathmark in Belleville and one in Kearny on Passaic Ave. There's a Shoprite only a block away in Kearny. There's a Stop&Shop in Jersey City on 440 near the Bayonne Bridge. There's more but that's just to show you that I do know the prices near you. You aren't taking advantage of the sales in the other markets. Personally, I don't like Aldi's but shopped there once in a while for one of their sales. Their every day low prices do not compete with the sale prices at many of the other stores, specifically ShopRite which has some of the best - not to discount the great sales on luncheon meats I would get twice a year, minimum, at A&P when it was combined with coupons.

I had a total grocery budget of less than $100 per month for 2 including my donations to a family of 6 of nearly $100 worth of groceries/hba each month and a donation monthly to the food bank/soup kitchen. Not everyone can do it because I also had an extra freezer and 2 extra fridges, as well as a lot of storage space. But you can lower your spending.

You can do it and eat well. If you'd like more details, send me a DM and I'll explain how and provide you with others' stories on how they do it.
I actually occasionaly go the Shoprite in Kearny,and the new super walmart that they just built in Kearny,next to the Wawa.
I have to lool throught the sale items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages