Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,772 times

Advertisements

I own an apt in nyc and rent it out in a 24 unit condo building. 6% interest rate on 30yr fixed. I have 40-50% equity in it. Credit score 800. Freddie Mac owned.

1. I tried refinancing the apartment through various lenders, but was told I did not qualify because of the following:

5 out of 24 (21%) owned by one entity which is greater than 10%
10 owner occupied, 14 rentals = 42% rentals which is less than required 51%
2 owners have payment delinquencies

Any suggestions on getting this unit refinanced?

2. I tried to get pre-approved for a new mortgage after seeing an apartment that I liked. On paper, I can afford it. But after I sent the lender my income tax returns and schedule E, they thought otherwise. I was told that my DTI (debt to income) ratio with the last two years (2011 2012 income tax) averaged is 59% and the maximum we can go up to with an exception is 50%. Usually it is 40%. In 2011 I had a large loss from rental income because the apt was vacant for 1/2 year. Is it necessary for lenders to look at last 2 years of tax statements? I was also told the following:

"Fannie and Freddie require rental income to be calculated. We take your net rental income figure and add back 4 deductions: Insurance, Mortgage Interest, Taxes and Depreciation. The sum of that number is the income amount we can qualify you with."

And right now they said that sum is too low. But doesn't equity, credit score, etc play a role? And how does "relocating" and "commuting distance" affect this process too?

Right now, the only options I have been told I have are to sell the rental apartment or sit on it with its 6% interest rate. Please help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Sure, both equity and credit score play a role, but in apartments/condos so do the factors mentioned, and others such as # of vacant units and financial status of the homeowners association. For single family homes those are not considerations. With your equity and interest rate I would suggest selling it.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM

can you talk a little bit more about why you would sell it with the equity i have?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:49 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
1. %Ownership issue should not be a factor in a true Freddie Mac Open Acess/HARP loan. If the company did not get a HARP approval, and got a "no appraisal waiver" or something like that, then the owner occupied % does come back into play.

I recently HARP'd a condo owner, but could not refinance his neighbor next door because she did not fit HARP guidelines, and % owner-occ came back into play. Tough to explain that one!

2. Their information is accurate. If it were 5-7 years ago, credit/nature of income/bank statements/stated income would be an option. But the over-correction that has taken place in lending has left good-credit borrowers such as yourself out in the cold, for now at least.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM

1. the condo in questions has a value greater than it's purchase price. I don't think it falls under HARP. what criteria should i look for?

2. Why is it so difficult to get a loan these days? I mean, people still purchase property for real estate investment, right? The criteria is just so demanding and property in the NYC area is not inexpensive.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
1. Home Affordable Programs has links that explain things, too much to post here.

2. The World Economy collapsed.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthlo View Post
1. the condo in questions has a value greater than it's purchase price. I don't think it falls under HARP. what criteria should i look for?

2. Why is it so difficult to get a loan these days? I mean, people still purchase property for real estate investment, right? The criteria is just so demanding and property in the NYC area is not inexpensive.

Sent you a DM.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:38 AM

21 posts, read 44,399 times
There is no way at the moment you get a better term on a non owner occ apartment under those conditions.

I wish I had better newsl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages