Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM

62 posts, read 376,733 times

Advertisements

Before I get too deep into the process and too attached to the new house, I am hoping you all can lend me some incite as to our situation and offer an opinion if the loan will fund.
We have offered, and are now under contract, $357,990 for a new-build new home purchase. The builder only has a couple of properties left in a very large development and this home is basically standing inventory. We have agreed to use the builder lender because of heavy incentives (all upgrades for “free,” waiving the lot premium (rolling eyes), paying ALL buyer closing costs, including pre-paids); prior to going under contract, they did a preliminary approval – paystubs, limited financials, credit check – and they agreed to my offer and opened a contract.
We are putting 20% down and still will have decent reserves (coming from the sale of various stocks). We keep very little money in our daily checking and savings accounts, rather we move money into harder to access vehicles – stocks, mutual, etc. – because I have basically always been the type of person that if I have $5 in my pocket, I spend $10.
We will be keeping our existing home and using it as a rental property, approximately 75% LTV. Due to a horrific tax situation (no deductions other than standard at all), I wouldn't mind actually losing money on the rental, as long as we can rent it for enough to cover the new house payment. I’m hoping to hang on to the house for a few years while the tenants pay down my mortgage and hope for continued moderate appreciation.
We make about 19K per month gross W2 and have a back-end DTI of about 40% (I think); credit scores of about 645-650 due primarily to high balance, high limit credit cards.

Based on the above information, do you all think we have a shot at getting the loan closed and in a reasonable timeframe?

Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:02 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Before I get too deep into the process and too attached to the new house, I am hoping you all can lend me some incite as to our situation and offer an opinion if the loan will fund.
We have offered, and are now under contract, $357,990 for a new-build new home purchase. The builder only has a couple of properties left in a very large development and this home is basically standing inventory. We have agreed to use the builder lender because of heavy incentives (all upgrades for “free,” waiving the lot premium (rolling eyes), paying ALL buyer closing costs, including pre-paids); prior to going under contract, they did a preliminary approval – paystubs, limited financials, credit check – and they agreed to my offer and opened a contract.
We are putting 20% down and still will have decent reserves (coming from the sale of various stocks). We keep very little money in our daily checking and savings accounts, rather we move money into harder to access vehicles – stocks, mutual, etc. – because I have basically always been the type of person that if I have $5 in my pocket, I spend $10.
We will be keeping our existing home and using it as a rental property, approximately 75% LTV. Due to a horrific tax situation (no deductions other than standard at all), I wouldn't mind actually losing money on the rental, as long as we can rent it for enough to cover the new house payment. I’m hoping to hang on to the house for a few years while the tenants pay down my mortgage and hope for continued moderate appreciation.
We make about 19K per month gross W2 and have a back-end DTI of about 40% (I think); credit scores of about 645-650 due primarily to high balance, high limit credit cards.

Based on the above information, do you all think we have a shot at getting the loan closed and in a reasonable timeframe?

Thank you...
Try to get your score over 660 and even better over 680. You will get a better rate. Sounds like the builder is motivated so it's their lender....should work FHA will be more expensive for you.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
On April 1, even conventional loans are changing to where 680 is the new benchmark for the "good" rates and lower scores will come with a premium. Lock your rate in ASAP so you don't have to worry about that deadline.

If you've got 20% to put down, why are your credit card balances so high? That's killing your score!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,963 times
On a pass/fail basis, you are fine.

However, if you have not yet locked in, there is still time to optimize your situation. Your Loan Officer should have suggested this. Use cash to pay down the credit cards to at least less than half the max available balance, more if you can. The lender can do a credit bureau update wherein the paydowns register in a few days, improved scores result, and better terms ensue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages