Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about trying to refinance later this year. I posted a thread in the economics section but it had more to do then mortgages. Someone suggested recasting and it sounded like a good idea but I have a USDA loan so I don't think I can do that. Why it sounded good is because even though I have excellent established credit with open and closed accounts, I am considered self employed. To complicate matters I get a W2 as well as a 1099 from one job and the rest is reported cash. It is all the same line of work and has been steady for years but it was a pain to get the initial mortgage. I have almost enough at the moment and definitely will later this year to put down what would be equivalent to 20% of the value of my house to have a new mortgage of 110,000. Considerably less then the 138,000 I still owe @ 5%.

When I bought the house my wife, a recent immigrant, was not working so the mortgage is completely in my name though the deed is in both names. She has now had steady employment at this job for what would be 2 years by the time I plan to do this. Both of our incomes together as we file taxes jointly would be well within the required amount. Mine alone is borderline because with my deductions, incl my IRA, my income on paper gets slashed. The joys of getting payed cash.

Of course in keeping with the never having anything easy theme my life follows, my wife has no credit history. I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to establish credit from -0-. I'm hoping she can get a credit card ASAP and to actually buy things on it but pay off at the end of the month. She also wants a new sofa. I think she should try to get financing for it and pay it off over a 4 or 6 month period even though she has the cash. But I don't know if she could even get these things because we tried to get her credit for a TV last Nov. and they wouldn't approve her. She ended up paying cash. Any pointers on establishing credit for a mortgage refinance approval? I'm assuming that in order to use her income with mine she's going to have to have good credit as well. If she does by chance build some up would it even be worth refinancing? Why I ask is I'm at 5% now, would her only having a short credit history possibly make us together only qualify with a higher percentage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Do a google search on "secured credit cards" and start there. Credit unions are typically best. Pay careful attention to the annual fee and ask about the fee to close the account, that's where they usually get you. The way it works your limit is whatever you have on deposit. So if you want a $500 limit, you would have to open a $500 savings account, which acts as security against the card. Your wife should never take the balance over 50% of the limit. If you have any credit cards in good standing (ie never late), add her to those accounts as an authorized user. And for Pete's sake, don't let any of these payments be late, you'll be toast before you even get started!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Add her to your credit cards asap.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 PM

142 posts, read 677,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Add her to your credit cards asap.
Agreed. Add her to your credit cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages