Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM

3,656 posts, read 4,790,108 times

Advertisements

Another mortgage question and then I'll stop. Are there any good mortgage calculators for amortization so I can see when it will be paid off and how much total for comparison? Those I've tried will take the extra principal added per month right from the beginning which was 2 years ago. I need to see one which will take in starting at month 26 or a large sum every May starting at the present.

I asked on another thread about refinancing a USDA loan with paying a large sum. Now I'm wondering if it would be better to take that 28000 dollars and not paying it all at once towards the 138000 I owe at 5%. I would take 11000 of it and pay off my car, then keep the rest in the bank as emergency but pay out of it 1000 per month extra towards principal. I know that for 6 month's of the year I can continue to replenish that 1000 per month easily so I think I could continue to do it. Especially since I have no more credit card payments and I would have no more car payments.

When I bought the house 2 years ago I had a goal to pay the 30 year off in half the time and I didn't think of how until now. I'm wondering if doing it this way will get it payed off in even less time.

This idea could also let me keep some emergency funds in the bank where refinancing and putting that whole sum at once would drain my non-IRA accounts to a dangerously low amount, though it would give me a lower payment.

I'm wondering, would it be better to pay a large monthly amount short term or a smaller monthly amount long term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Compare interests you will pay between 30 vs 15 year loans.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:25 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,387,253 times
If you have Excel on your computer, Free Home Mortgage Calculator for Excel is the best calculator I've seen. It lets you enter a different "extra" payment every month, starting whatever month you want, ending whatever month you want, etc. I found it online years ago and saved a copy on my hard drive for future use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages