Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM

157 posts, read 499,237 times

Advertisements

I just noticed in our report that our appraiser forgot to account for our half bath. He didn't mention a half bath in his reports nor take any pics...any suggestions in what I should do? I mean how much value does a half bath add? Also who would I call...my lender or appraisal company?

(We are refinancing in hopes to remove that FHA PMI and when appraisal came in it wasn't high enough...81.65%...just shy of that 80% mark we needed.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Call the appraiser. He should or she should come back out, take a photo and then amend the appraisal report.

I have no idea what it might add to your value as value for these items is very much dependent on what it might bring in your market.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Do not call the appraiser, he/she should not be exchanging any communication directly with the homeowner regarding the completed report. You are not their client, so they won't listen to you (some may not even acknowledge your call). Send an email to your loan officer pointing out the error. They should have a policy they follow for corrections and reconsideration of value requests. By any chance, is the 1/2 bath below grade? (In the basement?)

Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 AM

Thank you for the replies.

No the 1/2 bath is on the main level. Makes a difference in value huh?

Well I did end up talking to my lender about it and he sent the appraisal company a Revision Request. Appraiser came out last night and said I should get the revised report today.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,302 times
FHA PMI (MIP?) don't get eliminated just because it's 80% LTV. It needs to be both 78% LTV AND you must have paid FHA MIP for a total of 5 years.

Are you refinancing to a conventional loan?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
FHA PMI (MIP?) don't get eliminated just because it's 80% LTV. It needs to be both 78% LTV AND you must have paid FHA MIP for a total of 5 years.

^^^
This!
Unless you refinance to a conventional loan.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,275 times
I'm an appraiser and find it troubling that the original appraiser missed that bathroom. It's one thing to have a typo in the report that can easily be corrected, but quite another to have an appraiser inspect a house and miss that bathroom altogether.

I do give the appraiser credit for at least coming back out to look at it rather than taking your word for it. But if you feel the appraisal has any other problems then I wouldn't hesitate to demand another appraisal at the lender's expense.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post

Yep, we are refinancing to a conventional loan.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
I'm an appraiser and find it troubling that the original appraiser missed that bathroom. It's one thing to have a typo in the report that can easily be corrected, but quite another to have an appraiser inspect a house and miss that bathroom altogether.

I do give the appraiser credit for at least coming back out to look at it rather than taking your word for it. But if you feel the appraisal has any other problems then I wouldn't hesitate to demand another appraisal at the lender's expense.
It definitely wasn't a typo. He missed it all together - and he acknowledged that when he came back. We have a $50k solar panel system that we bought in February, unfortunately, there was not enough market data to even give us not even a $1 adjustment.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,764 times
FWIW in the past I have supplied appraisers with a nice summary (1 page) of the house, including a photo of the front.

Included was the # of bed and baths, sq footage, indication of type and make of mechanicals and kitchen appliances, roof type, floor materials, bath and kitchen finishes.

A simple bullet pointed, logical document and (knock on wood) have made out well on my appraisals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages