Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,725 times

Advertisements

So we are/were going through the process of refinancing.

Long story short, our house came in less than 2% low of what we needed it to hit. which is very aggravating as the appraiser knew the exact number that we needed and we have only been in the house about 16 months and the market around has has definitly not gone down. just appears to be a lack of good comps.

So now we are faced with a few options, wait for better comps to come in(who knows how long that will take and if any good comps will even come in), come up with the extra 2% in cash (payoff on this will be about 4 years and im not exactly thrilled to have to come up with this money out of pocket..) or stay at the rate we are at now.. (probably not the wisest decision)

Are there any other options that im missing? has anyone been in a similiar situation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
I deal with this often...

What is your current PITI?
What is your proposed PITI?
How much is 2%?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,283 times
The appraiser did not know what number he was supposed to hit - - unless you found some kind of Hot Tub Time Machine that took us back to 2004. They don't get that info any more.

Is your present loan carrying tax and insurance escrows? What is your present rate, and the proposed rate on the refinance? If you've only been in the place 16 months, you should be getting a rebate on your title policy, at least. Maybe the lender can participate and Credit some of your costs. I always say "half of something is better than 100% of nothing."

Also - is your loan FHA/USDA or VA? You can do a no-appraisal Streamline refinance, perhaps.

One big thing is the escrows, and exactly when your taxes are due. Please answer the above so that we may dig deeper.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
The appraiser did not know what number he was supposed to hit - - unless you found some kind of Hot Tub Time Machine that took us back to 2004. They don't get that info any more.
He knew the exact number, trust me...

Quote:
Is your present loan carrying tax and insurance escrows?
yes

Quote:
What is your present rate
4.5%

Quote:
and the proposed rate on the refinance?
3.625%
Quote:
If you've only been in the place 16 months, you should be getting a rebate on your title policy, at least. Maybe the lender can participate and Credit some of your costs. I always say "half of something is better than 100% of nothing."
yes there is lender credits already factored in

Quote:
Also - is your loan FHA/USDA or VA? You can do a no-appraisal Streamline refinance, perhaps.
it is not, its a conventional loan with PMI

Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
He knew the exact number, trust me...
He wasn't supposed to, it's illegal now to share that info

Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
^^^
VERY illegal

Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,283 times
When are your property taxes due? How much $$ is in your escrow account? I'm assuming you have 6-8 months of homeowner's Insurance in the account.

The aggregate calculation of the amount of $$ needed to set up your escrow account is important here, as it's likely the biggest chunk of manipulate-able cash in play. Hopefully....

Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
So we are/were going through the process of refinancing.

Long story short, our house came in less than 2% low of what we needed it to hit. which is very aggravating as the appraiser knew the exact number that we needed and we have only been in the house about 16 months and the market around has has definitly not gone down. just appears to be a lack of good comps.

So now we are faced with a few options, wait for better comps to come in(who knows how long that will take and if any good comps will even come in), come up with the extra 2% in cash (payoff on this will be about 4 years and im not exactly thrilled to have to come up with this money out of pocket..) or stay at the rate we are at now.. (probably not the wisest decision)

Are there any other options that im missing? has anyone been in a similiar situation.
"the appraiser knew the exact number" you "needed to hit"??? You are suggesting that the appraiser do something illegal. And if you had coerced him, you MIGHT have been a party to fraud.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Baloney. I just got the formal appraisal for the house I am buying last week. The first section stipulates that the appraiser knew the purchase price and the amount of the proposed loan.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Baloney. I just got the formal appraisal for the house I am buying last week. The first section stipulates that the appraiser knew the purchase price and the amount of the proposed loan.
True for purchases. Not so for refinances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages