Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,154,502 times

Advertisements

Question about this escrow thing.

I did an escrow acct on this property because it lowered my mortgage interest to do it like that. I don't know if it still makes any difference whether to escrow or not (for the interest rate). I have plenty of equity in this house and it is a 30 yr conventional mortgage.

What would be the advantage in taking escrow off and just paying myself (assuming it doesn't change my rate which is 5.625).

Another question. If you pay down the principal by making the extra payments the first couple of years, and then don't pay anything extra for another couple of years, then start again, is it still helpful to pay the extra?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 AM

781 posts, read 3,815,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Question about this escrow thing.

I did an escrow acct on this property because it lowered my mortgage interest to do it like that. I don't know if it still makes any difference whether to escrow or not (for the interest rate). I have plenty of equity in this house and it is a 30 yr conventional mortgage.

What would be the advantage in taking escrow off and just paying myself (assuming it doesn't change my rate which is 5.625).

Another question. If you pay down the principal by making the extra payments the first couple of years, and then don't pay anything extra for another couple of years, then start again, is it still helpful to pay the extra?
It is always helpful to make extra "principal" payments As far as the escrow account....you would have to contact the lender and request that your taxes and insurance no longer be impounded. The only advantage is that you can be in charge of the money....deciding how and when you want to pay the bills. You can use the money for other investments that could make more than whatever the loan companies rate is on the escrow account.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,154,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
It is always helpful to make extra "principal" payments As far as the escrow account....you would have to contact the lender and request that your taxes and insurance no longer be impounded. The only advantage is that you can be in charge of the money....deciding how and when you want to pay the bills. You can use the money for other investments that could make more than whatever the loan companies rate is on the escrow account.
Hummmmm. Thanks. Yeah, I've always made extra principal payments. I hate this 30 yr thing but I wanted flexibility "just in case". Took 30 but meant to do only 20. Then homeowner's insurance in Florida went bonkers and there went any extra. This year I will be able to lower the HOI so $ back to principal.

I'll have to think about the escrow. I almost don't like to think that I have to save $ for taxes. There's a temptation to use it for some other big "emergency".

Old 11-08-2007, 12:13 PM

781 posts, read 3,815,536 times
Quote:
Hummmmm. Thanks. Yeah, I've always made extra principal payments. I hate this 30 yr thing but I wanted flexibility "just in case". Took 30 but meant to do only 20. Then homeowner's insurance in Florida went bonkers and there went any extra. This year I will be able to lower the HOI so $ back to principal.

I'll have to think about the escrow. I almost don't like to think that I have to save $ for taxes. There's a temptation to use it for some other big "emergency".
Even just a $50 or $100 a month can make a difference. As far as the escrow....it can be hard to set it aside and not use the money for other things......good luck to you

Old 11-10-2007, 07:44 AM

622 posts, read 3,112,312 times
How can one tell if the bank is charging a percentage for the escrow handling fee? Would it be written anywhere on the mortgage stubs, or do I have to call them and ask?

Old 11-10-2007, 02:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,530 times
Quote:
It's always helpful to make additional payments toward principal. It is *more* helpful, earlier, than later. For instance, paying an extra $100 this month has more effect than paying an extra $100 six months from now.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:19 PM

6 posts, read 13,496 times
Hi vpcats,
For every $1 you pay in extra principle you will save many dollars in interest down the road. Daniel is correct telling you the sooner you can make the payments the better off you are, but even if you miss some in the beginning it will save you big $$$ to make any additional principle payments you can.

Either of these great sites may help you.

www.mortgagebreakdown.com
www.bankrate.com

Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,548,608 times
One thing we figured out real fast is that if the bank has a "pay every two week" program be skeptical. All they are doing is charging you a fee and it winds up with one extra payment a year.

Better to just have the discipline to pay extra principal on your own and stick with the original payment plan [plus adding principal]. We looked at refi at one point [loan was at 6.3%] and figured we could save more money doing that than refi [this was when the rates dropped below 5.5]

Old 09-25-2008, 11:48 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
One thing we figured out real fast is that if the bank has a "pay every two week" program be skeptical. All they are doing is charging you a fee and it winds up with one extra payment a year.

Better to just have the discipline to pay extra principal on your own and stick with the original payment plan [plus adding principal]. We looked at refi at one point [loan was at 6.3%] and figured we could save more money doing that than refi [this was when the rates dropped below 5.5]
I have people calling me all the time requesting that bimonthly payment plan, and I explain to them how to accomplish the same thing with extra principal payments. These shyster companies send them junk mail trying to fool them into thinking they need to pay a middle man to get that done.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,915,647 times
extra payments are great.

when i started in the rental business years ago i bought properties i could afford to make double payments on.

making double payments allows you to pay off in 5.9 years. saving thousands of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages