U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 AM

474 posts, read 2,393,701 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends:

In the Wheaton, IL area, I live in the NW corner of Milton Township. Not too far from my home, a builder or builders is creating another "march of the tin soldiers". In this case, it is a number of newly constructed strip mall buildings.

In a typical building of this area, there are perhaps ten or less narrow potential store 'fronts' that are not being rented. And so they have been vacant for several years. That's because the business areas nearby are already saturated with strip malls that are even having difficulty in attracting customers. So here is my question.

As real estate / mortgage experts, what do you think is the final destiny of these units that have not bee leased? The only answer that I can assume is that eventually they will be converted to small one room apartment units. But then that requires a zoning change (correct?). What is required to change a "B" zone into an "R" one?

Do you ever fore-see such a zoning change on a national basis for such small potential store units? I am sure, brand new units like this will never be torn down(?). But somebody is stuck with a mortgage on those buildings.

I would appreciate your comments and opinions. Thank You !

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 AM

Default One Extra Idea To My 'op' Above

IF the above idea becomes the 'wave of the future' - - and IF 'you' are looking for the edge on a future consumer product system... why not design an easily installed add on shower kit for such converted store front units?

With that idea, I'm sure you would help promote converted store fronts to apartment units. And that could be what we need in the future.

Of course, each store front converted to a small apartment will already include a small restroom ( A 'Lue'). But also required is an add on kit that would be a quick, fast and easy method of installing a shower.

The first thing that comes to my mind is a cheap metal shower enclosure. But perhaps something more in 'cheap' cosmetic fashion could be your design and also your road to riches(?). That's free and I don't charge for the idea !

Carter Glass

Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,113,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
Of course, each store front converted to a small apartment will already include a small restroom ( A 'Lue').

What is a lue? Is that like a loo?

Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 AM

Default What Is A 'lue'

In the country of Belgium, a "LUE" is a public restroom. I am not sure, but I believe that is the way it is spelled there. Anyway, that is from my oldest son who lived in Belgium for one year.

Carter Glass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages