Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 6,602 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a home under a home owner occupied standard mortgage (sorry that's probably not the technical name) and now I have an opportunity to rent the unit out. I currently have home owners insurance on the property, however, I contacted my agent today and she said she would need to advise the bank of the insurance change. This would put up a red flag to the bank would it not? Do I have any other options? I'm afraid of getting audited. Would the red flag that I purchased a home under a standard mortgage and now would be renting get the bank's attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:51 AM

248 posts, read 674,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg2303 View Post
I just purchased a home under a home owner occupied standard mortgage (sorry that's probably not the technical name) and now I have an opportunity to rent the unit out. I currently have home owners insurance on the property, however, I contacted my agent today and she said she would need to advise the bank of the insurance change. This would put up a red flag to the bank would it not? Do I have any other options? I'm afraid of getting audited. Would the red flag that I purchased a home under a standard mortgage and now would be renting get the bank's attention?
If you have already closed on the property then I doubt it will cause any problems as long as mortgage fraud wasn't involved. Bank is only worried about getting paid every month. If you continue making the payments then the bank shouldn't be concerned about what you are doing with your property. That's the point of buying insurance...

Now if you haven't closed on the property yet, then that changes everything.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
If you have already closed on the property then I doubt it will cause any problems as long as mortgage fraud wasn't involved. Bank is only worried about getting paid every month. If you continue making the payments then the bank shouldn't be concerned about what you are doing with your property. That's the point of buying insurance...

Now if you haven't closed on the property yet, then that changes everything.
I closed on the property, however, I signed the addendum that says it will be owner occupied. I guess i'm just worried with all the changes to the industry that they are paying closer attention.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
What does "just purchased a home" mean? Like yesterday? Last week? Last year? If you purchased a home with an owner occupied mortgage, you signed paperwork that said you wold occupy the property within 60-90 days, depending on which loan program you did.

Have you moved into the property? How long have you lived there? If this was a very short time, yes red flags will go up because it might not even have been sold to the final destination yet. If you're talking a few months ago is "just" or a year ago, then you're not going to have any issues.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
What does "just purchased a home" mean? Like yesterday? Last week? Last year? If you purchased a home with an owner occupied mortgage, you signed paperwork that said you wold occupy the property within 60-90 days, depending on which loan program you did.

Have you moved into the property? How long have you lived there? If this was a very short time, yes red flags will go up because it might not even have been sold to the final destination yet. If you're talking a few months ago is "just" or a year ago, then you're not going to have any issues.
I closed a month ago.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:43 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
I closed a month ago.
Did you ever move in?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Did you ever move in?
I guess technically I am there now.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I guess technically I am there now.
more to this...I'm there now, however, I have two residences.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:40 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
So basically you committed mortgage fraud. You bought a home as an owner occupier and signed paper work indicating that you would inhabit the property and now, not a month later, you want to rent it out.

Gee, I don't know, you think a ref flag might go up ? What do you think ? If you own two homes, then you also said this would be your primary residence, did you not? If you bought this property as an investment home or a second home, then you would not have been required sign that addendum. Then we would not be having this discussion.

Thus, you wanted the lower down payment and the typically lower mortgage rate by purchasing as an owner occupier. Now you're trying to figure out how to have your cake and eat it too without being found out

Old 08-15-2013, 07:25 PM

577 posts, read 663,271 times
No worries, I hear the "white collar jails" are now serving bologna instead of pb&j.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages