Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,020 times

Advertisements

I am working on a refi of an investment property, and submitted an application to the broker that quoted me the best terms in an Itemized Fee Worksheet (IFW). I haven't locked yet, as I feel rates are going to drop a bit this week due to the Yellen Fed confirmation, but I want to start moving the process forward. So I have asked them to give me a GFE and Truth in Lending statement. However they are saying they won't do this until I lock, as they do not offer float-down locks. It has been over 3 days since I submitted the application...is this legal for them to refuse to give me a GFE at this point?

I understand they don't want to waste their time, but I also want to make sure their IFW quote was realistic before I lock. I showed the IFW to the broker that did my last refi (on another property) and his rate is 3/8 higher so he is saying they probably are quoting me an owner-occupied rate. He could just be sour grapes that his rate is not as competitive, but I need the GFE to prove that. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
When Lenders disclose terms and include a full 2010 GFE, and the rate is not locked, the initial disclosures would include a "not locked/float" disclosure. Then, when you lock, they send a new GFE/TiL/Lock Confirmation, which you sign.

If the rate is different from the initial disclosure, it is reflected on these forms with a "Change of Circumstance" box checked.

The thing is, if you don't lock, and rates go up, they are not bound to hold to the non-locked initial disclosures.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,857 times
I have been through 3 national lenders, 1 local lender, 3 builders lenders and got GFE from each one without a credit pull or firm agreement to do any business with them. No one has told me no when I asked for it and it was supplied fairly quickly, day or two.

In my very limited experience I would say any lender who doesn't want to give you a GFE from the start I would not continue with.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,848 times
That wouldn't be legal for a personal mortgage (non-investment) - they have to provide a GFE within 3 business days. I don't know about investment mortgages though...

I'd go to another broker anyway. I've sent out a zillion GFEs without locked rates, and it's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages