Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 01:52 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,862,402 times

Advertisements

I live in a major east coast city where there are a number of co-ops. I am a little leery of purchasing one because of the limited number of lenders who will finance these properties. My thought is that you would not get a great "deal" on your mortgage with such an arrangement. Any insight? What should I look out for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 02:17 PM

3,803 posts, read 9,344,368 times
Why don't you talk with an actual lender?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 PM

I have-- the trouble is that my preferred lender doesn't do co op financing and my second choice does, but has a lot of fees associated with all services. Both have a vested interest-- my preferred lender wants to lend me money for a condo so that they make money off of my loan, my second choice wants me to go with them for the same reason. My second choice also wants me to put down less so that they can invest more of my ready cash and collect more fees. (I inherited some money that the second choice is managing).

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who had personal experience they could speak from.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:37 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I have-- the trouble is that my preferred lender doesn't do co op financing and my second choice does, but has a lot of fees associated with all services. Both have a vested interest-- my preferred lender wants to lend me money for a condo so that they make money off of my loan, my second choice wants me to go with them for the same reason. My second choice also wants me to put down less so that they can invest more of my ready cash and collect more fees. (I inherited some money that the second choice is managing).

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who had personal experience they could speak from.

Sent you a DM.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:26 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,819,169 times
It is what it is, deal or not. The market is the market. I guess you feel that since there isn't enough market competition, you are hesitant on purchasing. Does the monthly payment make sense is all that matters. My friends in co-op are happy, they bought never intending to flip or sell, they just wanted in. The future didn't matter to them. If you want the least amount of restriction then you buy a Single family in a non gated community. If you want a governing body , buy a co-op, condo, or in a gated community. Some people like the idea that there is a governing body to keep the neighborhood nice.

Last edited by thelopez2; 11-05-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM

My concern is making a wise investment, not just getting "in" to the market. I would rather keep renting-- I have a great place-- instead of dumping a load of cash into a place that I may not be able to make a profit on or even recoup my initial investment. I do care about future value.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,819,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
My concern is making a wise investment, not just getting "in" to the market. I would rather keep renting-- I have a great place-- instead of dumping a load of cash into a place that I may not be able to make a profit on or even recoup my initial investment. I do care about future value.
Those kind of places are hard to speculate on, I know someone that had to be approved to buy into the co-op, as you can see, there'd be too many things out of your control. The wanted to build up an old house, luckily the lot wasn't going to obstruct anyone's view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages