U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,913 times

Advertisements

I live in MA currently and am looking to buy a house in TN
I have several questions I hope can be answered.
I've been looking at houses $70,000 and below and have found many that I'm interested in.
But since it is out of state, I'm wondering what the requirements for getting a mortgage would be. Here in ma I was pre approved for a 3.5% interest rate. My credit is close to perfect and I am a first time buyer. I work in ma and have not been able to transfer to TN but I plan on working down there, just at a different company.
How will this complicate my home buying?
Will my interest rate or amount of down payment be higher if I buy the house as an investment property or second home/ vacation home?

If I end up transferring to TN but staying with the same company I work for currently, what will the lenders need in order for me to qualify for a mortgage? Will they need pay stubs as proof? Transfer paperwork etc? I'm just so confused lately, please let me know if you've been in a similar situation and have some tips. Thanks! Kim
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 02:54 AM

10 posts, read 23,635 times
For a second home, you will need at least a 10% downpayment, For an investment property, you need 20-25% down. The interest rate might be slightly higher than a primary residence.

Applying for a home loan after a job change is tricky - lenders want to see stability.
If you can do a transfer within the same company, you should be able to just buy the new home as a primary residence - 5% down, better loan terms.
If you change companies but stay within the same line or work and your paychecks actually show the same income or an actual increase.. you can apply for a primary residence loan within a few months (6 would be good).

Primary residence always gets better loan pricing because the risk is smaller to the lender. If you're ever in a rough spot, you are more likely to default on a second home/investment than on the roof on top of your head.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:28 AM

4,453 posts, read 5,772,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Anghel View Post
Primary residence always gets better loan pricing because the risk is smaller to the lender. If you're ever in a rough spot, you are more likely to default on a second home/investment than on the roof on top of your head.
If I run into a rough spot I'd keep my income producing investment property, unless the investment property is what is creating the rough spot.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 23,635 times
Consider the following hypothetical situation: you end up with renters that will not only become unable to make the monthly payment, but they don't even maintain your property, causing a lot of damage (think water damage for example). The state laws make it very difficult and lengthy to evict them, so the process drags on for a few months. Economic factors make the rent prices drop below your monthly mortgage payment, and on top of it all, you lose your job or perhaps are unable to work for a period of time due to some health problem.
You only have enough funds to make one mortgage payment: will you chose to keep the roof over your family's head, or save the investment property that currently drains the life out of you?
Lenders will always consider the worst situation possible when extending credit, they will not consider common sense.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:20 AM

3,806 posts, read 8,288,334 times
You were never pre-approved for a 3.5% interest rate.

Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or