Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times

Advertisements

I'm not an HVAC expert and always recommend people seek the advice of a Professional Property Inspector, heating contractor, HVAC person etc when it's time for a decision or an opinion on the soundness of an existing heating source...

There are very good thermostatically controlled natural gas and propane heating units available. I've seen 3000 sq ft single family homes which use them as a primary heat source. The same companies tend to make things like tankless water heaters, which I'm intrigued with...

The only real advice I'd offer is that if a lender won't lend without central heat - you might give the contractor's estimate directly to the underwriter before installing...and get provisional approval in writing before proceeding...But you already had that idea in mind I'd wager...

Sorry this has been so frustrating to you!

What are your friends and relatives suggesting - what seems to be the advice from friends and relations? I'm always interested in the experience people have had with various technologies, companies, and warrantees...

Warmly (pun intended)
David Beckett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 06:42 PM

26 posts, read 73,393 times
4 of my husbands 6 brothers are in the home heating business. Ironic, isn't it? My brother is an electrician and works for the gas co.
Honestly, they knew very little of geo thermal, an expensive up front, but excellent long term investment. Their experience with these space heaters is also limited but I think my brother is going to be purchasing one of the space heaters for his in-laws who've been using one of those unvented gas logs a wee bit more than they are meant to be used. These are folks who can most afford to use their furnace yet we are all trying to save. He said he's never had to fix one and it may be because they are of high quality. The R's do have a tankless water heater which is more costly than some of the ones at the local plumbing stores, but again it seems to be one of the better ones.
My brother really thinks a hot water/gas heat is the way to go as we can hook the water in too and because he knows it. He's even offered to service it. We've only got propane here, not natural gas, so we wanted the most efficient system.
The bank has already accepted and held back the money and left it in our hands when we do the work. My gut tells me that these will do a good job and I'm starting to look forward to leaving the house for the first time in many years ...just kidding.
We do have time and will continue to do our homework.
Will let you know....perhaps on the Vt. forum.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages