Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:52 AM

64 posts, read 367,895 times

Advertisements

Hi and thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I just want to know what the guidelines are when using your 401k as reserves when buying a house. I am not sure if this will be something I have to end up doing yet but I have a few questions. First, I'm assuming if you are currently paying a loan on it that you can't use it, correct? And would a lender allow you to use it right away if you paid that loan off or is there a certain time that has to go by after paying off the loan for this to be allowed? Please let me and add anything I might have left out. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 05:56 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Total vested amount, minus outstanding loans, multiply remainder by 70%. Must be able to prove access prior to death or leaving job. (Usually, just printing the Web page with loan procedures or withdrawal process will prove access).

Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Total vested amount, minus outstanding loans, multiply remainder by 70%. Must be able to prove access prior to death or leaving job. (Usually, just printing the Web page with loan procedures or withdrawal process will prove access).
Hmmm. This must vary by lender and/or location. I'm in New Hampshire, and when I bought my current house in May 2012 and kept my first house as a rental, I was able to use my entire 403(b) retirement account (equivalent to 401(k)s) as reserves (no loans allowed and it is fully vested). I thought it was pretty odd since I have no access to those funds (which are substantial) until I retire (or my heirs would get them if I die before retirement). My lender didn't care -- they did NOT require anything that said I had access, all they wanted was the current balance.

Again, I thought this was so odd that I verified it with the loan processor AND underwriter before proceeding with the loan. What might make a difference is that my lender services their own loans -- they don't package them and sell to investors. SmartMoney, maybe what you wrote is a requirement for the investors that buy mortgages?

In any case, OP, just check with your lender.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM

64 posts, read 367,895 times
Hmmm...that's interesting to say the least. I will check on that. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekoflow View Post
Hmmm...that's interesting to say the least. I will check on that. Thanks.
Lenders that sell off their mortgages right after getting them (as many lenders do) have to follow the "rules" of the companies that buy those mortgage "packages." Since my bank doesn't sell their mortgages, they may have different rules.

Good luck, buying a house is fun!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 19,773 times
The procedure that SmartMoney outlined was roughly my experience when I used my 401k as reserve. They actually didn't care so much about the proof of access, but definitely only considered 70% of the amount.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Lenders that sell off their mortgages right after getting them (as many lenders do) have to follow the "rules" of the companies that buy those mortgage "packages." Since my bank doesn't sell their mortgages, they may have different rules.

Good luck, buying a house is fun!
Did you even need the 403b funds, was your checking and savings enough?

Old 03-09-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil02 View Post
The procedure that SmartMoney outlined was roughly my experience when I used my 401k as reserve. They actually didn't care so much about the proof of access, but definitely only considered 70% of the amount.
You know, it's quite possible that they DID only count 70% of my 403(b) -- that account is fairly large so 70% would have been way more than I needed (10% would have been more than I needed!). I didn't even ask them how much they counted -- I'd been more concerned about confirming that all they needed was the balance, since I was flabbergasted that they would count it at all since I have no access to the funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Did you even need the 403b funds, was your checking and savings enough?
That's a good question, so let me clarify. My checking, savings, and other investment accounts (Vanguard mutual funds) had fairly large amounts in them, but after subtracting the down payment I was making, they would NOT have been enough for the "reserves" requirement, since I had to have enough for BOTH houses for 6 months (IIRC, it was 6 months). So my lender definitely used my 403(b) balance to satisfy the requirement.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
You would have access to the 403B funds if you were to lose your job. Yes, there would be taxes and 10% penalty (why they only count 70% of the balance), but you would have access.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
You would have access to the 403B funds if you were to lose your job. Yes, there would be taxes and 10% penalty (why they only count 70% of the balance), but you would have access.
I guess that IS the rationale, but if I were to lose my job, I would likely have other things to worry about than just paying my mortgages.

That reason never occurred to me as I have a job I basically CAN'T lose (tenured college prof) and my lender knew that of course. But your comment makes sense as to why such funds CAN count!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages