Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 AM

382 posts, read 336,747 times

Advertisements

My ex and I bought a condo in Aug 2012. I lived there for around 4 months and we broke up. I still paid for the condo until May 2013. I have a new gf and need my name off the condo. What am I entitled to if her dad gave us 17000 as a gift with a gift letter to us and we out down 1000 each. I also put work into the condo. Both names are on the condo, so am I entitled to half of the equity? She's saying that she has a case against me because I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
This is not a real estate question. This is a legal question. Your need an attorney.

You ex is ex- what. Ex- wife, ex-girlfriend ?? If an ex-wife read your divorce decree as to who gets what. If an ex-girl friend, then you really need an attorney now. There really is no way of getting around hiring a lawyer unfortunately.

Gather up copies of your deed to the condo, your mortgage note papers, the name of the lender servicing your loan, proof of the $ 1,000 you and your ex paid, plus proof of what her father gave you and she as a gift. Take it to an attorney and have him give you advice.

Last edited by willow wind; 03-22-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-22-2014, 09:53 AM

45 posts, read 76,007 times
Good advice from willow wind. You definitely need a good lawyer, not real estate/mortgage advice. Best of luck though, it sounds like a stressful situation and I hope you are able to come to a beneficial solution with your ex!

Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 AM

382 posts, read 336,747 times
Ahh ok, we'll I did and he sent her a letter saying she either needs to buy me out or sell the condo in 30 days or we go to court.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
What are you entitled to? You should ask your attorney what you're potentially liable for.

If your name is on the mortgage, you're still on the hook for that. Unless you and your "ex" can work out a settlement, you'll probably need to force a sale of the condo, as your attorney seems to be working towards. (I'm assuming it's an ex-girlfriend since, otherwise, this should have been taken care of in a divorce.) With a forced sale, it's likely that you'll have to sell for less than market value. So you may or may not be able to recoup any equity.

The letter from your attorney to your ex sounds like a typical first-round threat. If she could only put down $1,000 towards the purchase, though, it's unlikely that she'd be able to buy you out. A quick sale may be unlikely, too. This could be headed to court so it may drag on for a while. Check with your attorney first, but it sounds like you'd be better off trying to make a deal with your ex to get this resolved one way or the other. Don't expect to get everything you've put into the place--you might not get much at all, if anything. You'll be lucky if you don't have to pay more. (How much will your attorney cost is this drags out?) I guess you'll have to chalk this up as one of those "life lessons" you hear about. Hopefully, you'll learn from it.

WHOA!! I just re-read your post before sending this! It was HER father who gave the $17,000 gift, not yours. You're being an ass. Quit claim your interest to her and move on (provided you can get off the mortgage). At most, ask her for $1,000--the amount of money you put into it. Or just continue paying money to your attorney so he can make life miserable for both you and your ex.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 03-24-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1987 View Post
Ahh ok, we'll I did and he sent her a letter saying she either needs to buy me out or sell the condo in 30 days or we go to court.
This happens in divorce when parties can't agree on distribution of assets. I'm glad you consulted with an attorney to resolve this matter.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:49 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
What do you want? You do realize that there may be very little equity (if any) in the condo. Your best bet is to get yourself off the mortgage and quit claim your interest in the condo to her. Get your name off and move on with your life. The longer you drag this out, the uglier it gets down the road. Last thing you want to a few years from now when you decides to get a morgtage and come to find out that you can't because you are still on the hook for this one.

The $1000 you put down.. think of it as an expense for a lesson learned.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:50 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
You expect her to sell the condo in 30 days? Are you going to absorb half of the loss?

Old 06-06-2014, 01:48 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1987 View Post
I have a new gf and need my name off the condo.
So what did you end up doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages