Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times

Advertisements

I'm shopping for a new home, and I'm planning to stay in this new home for 20 or more years--through retirement. I have 5-10% for a down-payment by dipping into my rainy day fund.

Initially I was planning to do a 95/5 loan, but with the PMI and interest on the extra 15%, I was stretching me further than I wanted in monthly payment. Even if I could get the principle down and remove the PMI, I'd only reduce my payment by $100/month. What I want is to free up more money sooner so that I can invest more. I don't see re-financing as an option because I don't believe interest rates will be this low again in my lifetime.

I'm looking now at an 80/10/10 program. 80% fixed @ 4.5%, 10% HELOC at Prime+1.5%. My plan is to reduce my 401K contributions from the maximum to the level of my company match. During the next 23 months, I would pay the extra from 401K, my entire annual bonus and tax returns, plus all my flexible spending budgeted items onto the HELOC loan. I "should" be able to do this in 23 months.

After that, I will start putting the full $17,500 into my 401K and rebuild my rainy day fund over the next 2-3 years. This will set me up to start contributing 50% of the 401K catch-up when I'm eligible.

I'm nervous about the HELOC. The "should" is a concern because ..."what if" this or that derails my plan? Are all HELOC's made equal? What sorts of gotcha's exist?

Would you recommend this sort of program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
I think your assessment is excellent.

The HELOC can hurt in two ways:
1. How long will the HELOC rate Prime+1.5%? When does it become a Variable Rate loan? If something unforeseen happens to consume the funds you have pegged for the accelerated payback, you may face the Variable Rate Period of the HELOC.

2. Less likely, but if Prime goes crazy so will your rate on the HELOC.

I would proceed exactly as you describe.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Even if rates on the HELOC go up to 10%, you are only talking a couple of hundred dollars on a 40k line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages