Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,067 times

Advertisements

I am a current homeowner who underwent serious back surgery and is looking to move to a lower maintenance home with an HOA. The issue lies in getting a mortgage as in the past two years I became a partner in an LLC. While I have a credit score close to 800, funds to make the payments as well as savings to easily make a down payment of 20% or higher and still have at least 24 months reserve for monthly mortgage payments, my past years tax return is not stating enough income according to my broker because I am self employed. I was in the hospital and recovering for 6 months and did not take many owner draws.

I was told the only way I could get a mortgage is to have a co-signer (my mother) which wont work because of the debt she carries with her own home. One option im being told would be to have her purchase the home as an investment property and use me as a co-signer so that my name could be on the mortgage and not just the deed. She will be able to claim the 'income' from the investment which would satisfy the debt/income issue that we'd have with cosigning. I would pay the monthly mortgage payments and in a year or so when they like my tax return (as long as interest rates are ok), refinance her off the mortgage completely.

I understand the interest rate for an investment property is higher than an owner occupied property. Considering my current interest rate is high as i havent refinanced in 6 years, the investment interest rate would still be lower than what I am at now. After speaking to a realtor, my home value is not likely to increase and I will only be shoveling more money into it as it is an old home that does require a lot of maintenance. I will be spending more to hire people to maintain this property for me than it is worth, so id like to try to move as soon as possible.

I was wondering if anyone could see any other way to obtain a loan aside from having someone else purchase it as an investment property?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,326,677 times
There are Declining Assets Mortgages. These are not "hard money" deals, they are simply Conventional loans. If you qualify, you get terms similar to a W2'd employee.

What state are you buying in?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,803,601 times
Yes it sounds doable based on what your bank statements show.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,067 times
I am purchasing a home in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania.

I'm not familiar with declining assets mortgages? Perhaps I will have to do some research on this.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin323 View Post

I'm not familiar with declining assets mortgages? Perhaps I will have to do some research on this.
There are lender that will consider the LLC based on your % ownership.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:37 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,326,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin323 View Post

Different Lenders have different takes on this.

You're typically looking for a "Portfolio Lender," or a lender that retains and services their own loans.

DA loan types that I have seen (West Coast) involve calculating your total Liquid Assets (and non-penalty liquidate-able investment accounts) and using that amount to extrapolate your ability to make payments from those funds for ten (number varies) years at a specific Debt Ratio. Other ones allow for total assets. Alt-Doc (ie, Bank Statements, the one that makes the most sense) has not made the return that I had hoped for.

The exclusion of Self Employed Borrowers is, IMO, a gross over-correction made by elected officials who do not understand finance and merely want to be seen whipping a scapegoat.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Alt-Doc (ie, Bank Statements, the one that makes the most sense) has not made the return that I had hoped for.
I saw some Alt-Doc bank statement guidelines and they were ulgy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages