Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times

Advertisements

Estimated median household income for Virginia Beach in 2005:
$58,545

Estimated median house/condo value for Virginia Beach in 2005:
$231,400

Now, I've been doing my research, and you're not supposed to go over 2.5 times your yearly income as far as housing goes.. so with the housing prices, if you're going to buy the average priced house, you'd have to make 100K - almost double the actual median income.

And people wonder why some people will get subprime mortgages. I have noticed though that prices are starting to go down a bit...

So, it comes down to my final statement/question:

I'm young. I make decent money. I'm looking at buying a house in either 2008 (around May) or in 2009. What are some suggestions when looking at mortgages? I was looking this year, but I got rejected (for the amount of 2.5x my income) due to some issues (lousy ex creating CC's) and some broker even stated that he wouldn't even consider a mortgage for a young person like myself.

Oh, my credit score should be good (I'll know at the beginning of the year) since I've finished paying off two vehicles this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:37 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
I'd try to stay within 3x your income for the mortgage amount. But it helps if you'll also have a cushion (beyond that) for any repairs/emergencies. That way if something happens you're not putting it on credit cards right away, upping your monthly obligations.

My husband and I are building a house, mortgaging right at 2.5x our combined salaries, which is about 3.2x my salary alone. We have budgeted and while we won't have a lot left over for vacations or other excitement, we will be able to afford the house, the utilities, food/gas, cars, insurance, student loans, and taxes. So, we'll just vacation in our house for a while!

Try not to get into the "funny money" range (5x, 7x) - I'd stick with a condo or townhome at first if you can't afford single family in the area.

Make sure you get your credit cleaned up (weird ex-items taken care of)

Good luck!!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 AM

177 posts, read 923,835 times
I grew up in Virginia Beach and it has become a relatively expensive place to live in a short amount of time. My mom moved into a town home that was worth about 80k when she moved in. I told her to buy it but she didn't and now it is appraised at almost 200k.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
My suggestion would be to either join a credit union, they have the best rates, or to establish a relationship with a locally owned bank so they know who you are. Your local newspaper should publish a weekly list of mortgage's bank rates. Learn how to read them. I've never used a mortgage broker. A bank will generally charge more upfront in fees if they're going to sell the mortgage as opposed to holding it in-house. You can ask them whether they sell or keep them.

I use to tell people not to go out further than 20 yrs on a mortgage, 15 if they could so that they'd be paying less in interest and have it paid off sooner, possibly by the time their kids hit college age. Nowdays with such high prices I guess I'd have to bump that up to 30yrs.

Your credit ratio should look better having paid off those cars. Buy something you can afford. Hopefully, housing prices will come down to a more reasonable ratio to income in the next two years.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I'd stick with a condo or townhome at first if you can't afford single family in the area.
My father's townhouse is appraised at $200K (not exactly best area, either). I hate townhouses. It's like a large apartment you buy. No yard, so crowded... and all townhouses are in HOA's. I despise HOA's. Condos are normal size apartments you buy.. with the same problems.

Single family homes are around $250K+
I don't need a McMansion, just a 2 or 3 bedroom ranch. I'm not into the 'fancies'.

Quote:
Hopefully, housing prices will come down to a more reasonable ratio to income in the next two years.
I've actually seen some houses drop into the 180's as of recently. I'm hoping they drop even more. Not to go into my finances, but the less I pay on a house, the more money I can save for retirement.

As for my daughter's college - she's on her own. I'm doing it myself, so can she.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:33 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
My father's townhouse is appraised at $200K (not exactly best area, either). I hate townhouses. It's like a large apartment you buy. No yard, so crowded... and all townhouses are in HOA's. I despise HOA's. Condos are normal size apartments you buy.. with the same problems.
Not all town homes are like you described.In the mid 80's we had a 1700 sq ft town home attached to one other. We had two stories 3 bed rms 2.5 baths, 2 car garage and a great fenced in back yard not big but it was about 60x100.Hoa fees were $30 a month (no pools or clubhouse and they only maintained the front yard we did the back). I loved that home out of all the homes we have had. I would buy it back right now but it is worth $600,000 now.Only in CA outragious. We paid $150,000 for it.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:47 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Estimated median household income for Virginia Beach in 2005:
$58,545

Estimated median house/condo value for Virginia Beach in 2005:
$231,400

Now, I've been doing my research, and you're not supposed to go over 2.5 times your yearly income as far as housing goes.. so with the housing prices, if you're going to buy the average priced house, you'd have to make 100K - almost double the actual median income.

And people wonder why some people will get subprime mortgages. I have noticed though that prices are starting to go down a bit...

So, it comes down to my final statement/question:

I'm young. I make decent money. I'm looking at buying a house in either 2008 (around May) or in 2009. What are some suggestions when looking at mortgages? I was looking this year, but I got rejected (for the amount of 2.5x my income) due to some issues (lousy ex creating CC's) and some broker even stated that he wouldn't even consider a mortgage for a young person like myself.

Oh, my credit score should be good (I'll know at the beginning of the year) since I've finished paying off two vehicles this year.
Sad thing is, there are MANY other places where the ration of median home price to median household income is worse than the 5-1 spread in Virginia Beach. The spread is over 10-1 in many coastal California communities. I seem to recall that La Jolla has a median home price well in excess of one million dollars, yet the median household income is something like $70k or $80k. Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages