Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why this is allowed. With a subdivision of more than 200 homes and building more, it's hard to believe they can't allot a certain amount of homes to be VA approved. It is a disservice to the VA loan process in getting a home in some areas.

So I started looking at existing homes and there are even some realtors listing no VA or FHA loans accepted. It's frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
Can you post some links to the ads - or DM them to me if the Mods mis-perceive that you are posting advertising.

Typically "No VA or FHA" is for short sales and condo's that lack FHA approval. I'm wondering if they are selling these places sans some items that typically belong in a traditional new build.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Can you post some links to the ads - or DM them to me if the Mods mis-perceive that you are posting advertising.

Typically "No VA or FHA" is for short sales and condo's that lack FHA approval. I'm wondering if they are selling these places sans some items that typically belong in a traditional new build.
They actually just took it off the market but this is one example of the many I found.

Click on more under details. I states :One look and you will want to move in! See Realtor remarks for special terms and conditions for property and for offers to be presented. NO FHA or VA Offers or concessions.

48171 Greenwich Ln, Canton, MI 48188 - Zillow

Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
They actually just took it off the market but this is one example of the many I found.

Click on more under details. I states :One look and you will want to move in! See Realtor remarks for special terms and conditions for property and for offers to be presented. NO FHA or VA Offers or concessions.

48171 Greenwich Ln, Canton, MI 48188 - Zillow

Certainly nothing in need of repair on that property.

No concessions, no FHA, no VA = they want the price that is listed, and want zero perceived "hassles."

Perhaps they are not aware that a Lender can cover non-allowable fees, thus avoiding digging into their net profit. I cannot imagine willfully excluding Veterans.

90% of my work is with VA clients, and this makes my blood boil. Depending on how fired up you are, I'd call a TV news station.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:04 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
That was an interesting listing. It was on the market last October, then withdrawn, then on again for just a month now and withdrawn again. I don't put much stock in Zillow but it does appear the house was grossly over priced for its neighborhood.

It may have been a sellers needed to get x-amount of dollars from the sale and weren't getting the buyers they wanted. The no VA or FHA maybe meant they didn't want points or closing costs to deal with and an agent who didn't know who to build them into a contract. Unfortunately, your loss and their loss too.

For the life of me I can't understand why this builders of all this new construction refuse to become VA certified. It's just three pieces of paper they have to sign. One for equal employment opportunity, one for affirmative action in marketing, one is the builder's certification indicating that they are essentially building to code. Maybe they are not doing one or more of those things.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
That was an interesting listing. It was on the market last October, then withdrawn, then on again for just a month now and withdrawn again. I don't put much stock in Zillow but it does appear the house was grossly over priced for its neighborhood.

It may have been a sellers needed to get x-amount of dollars from the sale and weren't getting the buyers they wanted. The no VA or FHA maybe meant they didn't want points or closing costs to deal with and an agent who didn't know who to build them into a contract. Unfortunately, your loss and their loss too.

For the life of me I can't understand why this builders of all this new construction refuse to become VA certified. It's just three pieces of paper they have to sign. One for equal employment opportunity, one for affirmative action in marketing, one is the builder's certification indicating that they are essentially building to code. Maybe they are not doing one or more of those things.
Yes, but this is one of the many homes in the area listed on Zillow and realtor sites that list no VA. At first, I thought the issue was with newly built homes. But it makes me wonder why this is a legal. I think I'm going to investigate this further by contacting the Veteran Affairs and HUD in Michigan.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
This particular home appears to have issues and probably not a good example. ("Heat- contact for details" tells me that there's an issue and not up to VA minimum property standards).

Sellers can do anything they want. Being able to buy a home as a Veteran is not an entitlement or right. Just the opposite, our society is Capitalistic and as long as sellers are within the law, they can do as they wish. They can require contracts be only presented on purple paper to be considered. As long as they don't say no to any specified protected classes (race, sex, religion, nationality, marital status and age), the seller may do as they wish. And even if you were a member of one of those protected classes, you would have to prove that is why they are saying no.....

Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
This particular home appears to have issues and probably not a good example. ("Heat- contact for details" tells me that there's an issue and not up to VA minimum property standards).

Sellers can do anything they want. Being able to buy a home as a Veteran is not an entitlement or right. Just the opposite, our society is Capitalistic and as long as sellers are within the law, they can do as they wish. They can require contracts be only presented on purple paper to be considered. As long as they don't say no to any specified protected classes (race, sex, religion, nationality, marital status and age), the seller may do as they wish. And even if you were a member of one of those protected classes, you would have to prove that is why they are saying no.....
That's not really the point. It's about using a benefit that a veteran is entitled and has earned to use within reason. Michigan has changed and updated laws for veterans over the past few years because the lawmakers know that laws need to change with the times as they should. During the past few years with interest rates low and home prices affordable, there are more people buying homes.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
That's not really the point. It's about using a benefit that a veteran is entitled and has earned to use within reason. Michigan has changed and updated laws for veterans over the past few years because the lawmakers know that laws need to change with the times as they should. During the past few years with interest rates low and home prices affordable, there are more people buying homes.
Oh, I definitely understand, but this is a Federal issue and Michigan cannot make anyone do anything because someone is a veteran. They can and have granted tax breaks for disabled vets and provided other special benefits. But the minute they say So-And-So builder must sell to a veteran, that seller's rights has been violated.

(I am an Army brat and the only non-Army veteran in the family, including my mother and father from WWII and my brother, Viet Nam. I in no way mean any disrespect to veterans....but what you are talking about is eliminating someone's rights that our veterans fight so hard to protect).

Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The fact that it is happening among several groups of selling entities makes it look, to me, from afar, like a "Local Trend" that needs to be investigated.

Yes, there are cash-only bidding wars in some areas, but these *******s need to be vetted, so to speak, at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages