Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:41 AM

317 posts, read 1,513,320 times

Advertisements

I heads from the loan officer at bbt yesterday that my loan was approved pending private mortgage insurance approval. What exactly does this mean? Is it an easy process to get mortgage insurance approval? The loan officer said he never heard of this before. That really wasn't very reassuring. Has anyone had experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,394 times
First, if your loan officer has never heard of it, then I'm afraid I've got some bad news. Your Loan Officer sucks. Or has been in the business for about an hour. Which also sucks. But at least you're at the tail-end of the process.

Banks fully underwrite files, and for those Conventional loans that require private mortgage insurance, the fully-approved file goes to the mortgage insurance company, (MGIC, Radian, etc.), whereupon THEY underwrite the file. Usually comes out fine - as long as the lender you are dealing with knows what to expect.

MI companies are sensitive to debt ratio, and typically need firm documentary support within the file. It's part of the "I thought I already sent that" syndrome, but it's actually them asking for something more specific.

You should be fine.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:59 AM

Hmm well I has assumed the loan officer at the bank had a lot of experience. Also my realtor had never heard of this either. Perhaps it's because my due diligence period was ending soon and that's why they have this kind of update? Maybe the loan usually isn't approved until after this step but they knew time was running out for me so they gave somewhat of a conditional approval? I dunno,, this is just my brain storming but I don't really know much about it.

So is it possible that they may ask for more paper work? Can a loan ever be denied at this point due to the mortgage insurance approval. How long does approval usually take? I'm trying to close on June 16 and really won't be able to rest easy until I get a full approval.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:02 AM

96 posts, read 152,464 times
I'm surprised that your loan has been submitted without the LO explaining to you that you have PMI and what it is.

Anyway, as the poster above says, your equity in the property is low and you are required to get PMI. No big deal.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:10 AM

I know what PMI is. This was thoroughly explained to me

Old 05-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Can anyone answer the questions below for me please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
Hmm well I has assumed the loan officer at the bank had a lot of experience. Also my realtor had never heard of this either. Perhaps it's because my due diligence period was ending soon and that's why they have this kind of update? Maybe the loan usually isn't approved until after this step but they knew time was running out for me so they gave somewhat of a conditional approval? I dunno,, this is just my brain storming but I don't really know much about it.

So is it possible that they may ask for more paper work? Can a loan ever be denied at this point due to the mortgage insurance approval. How long does approval usually take? I'm trying to close on June 16 and really won't be able to rest easy until I get a full approval.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Yes it is possible for them to ask for more paperwork. Yes it is possible, but not likely, that they would issue a decline.

A lender can issue a Full Approval Contingent upon obtaining Private Mortgage Insurance. But, you are a month from closing.

If you are closing a month from now, you will have to be sent back through both the Lender and the MI company's Underwriters, albeit rather brief, so that they can inspect paystubs to be received between now and then, perform a soft credit check to see if you've bought a boat or something that might imbue your creditworthiness, and perform a verbal verification of your employment.

What is the price of the home, how much are you putting down, and what is the nature of your income and employment?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 PM

My closing is June 16, but now I may move it up if I can get out of my apt lease early due to the ac not working and them refusing to fix it. I'm buying a 149,000 house and paying 5% down. I'm a full time nurse & have been for 8 years. so I have a steady income. I'm moving 2 months earlier than originally planned so I won't really have all the extra back up money that I would have if I had 6 more paycheck a before closing rather than 2.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:05 PM

Nurse income is awesome. Y'all tend to have excellent credit as well. 5% Down is the tightest a Conventional Loan can be. But your income and time on the job sound good. I don't have any data on your Debt Ratio - that's a big player in these things.

MI review usually takes a day, 2 max, especially mid-month. Check in with your Lender for an update at the end of the day. Hopefully by this time tomorrow they will be preparing Closing Docs!

Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 PM

I don't have any car payments or student loans. My only debt is $700 on a medical credit card used for dentja purposes and $1500 on a credit card that I usually pay off every month. I wasn't able to pay it off this month bc I'm hoarding all my money for the down payment. But as soon as the house is paid, loan approved, and I close ..then I will pay that card off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages