Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,535,495 times

Advertisements

did you look at BBT? we have done two mortgages through them now - one with a broker and the other without. they offered the best rates around both times. and they are a pleasure to deal with on the homeowner side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 11:07 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,282,706 times
Selling off mortgages to servicing companies is the way of the banks and mortgage companies now. Happened to us and ours was sent to Green Tree Servicing. Google them to see the record of horrors and also the FB page Victims of Green Tree Servicing. We were never once late on our mortgage, just a victim of the new industry tactics. We quickly went to the credit union and refinanced to avoid all the trappings of the servicing companies. So glad we did. I don't care if a bank offered me 0%, I wouldn't take it because of the servicing companies they quickly sell off the mortgage to and all the major banks are doing it. If we ever buy a house again it'll be with a CU loan! Playing it safe is more comforting than a low rate, saves a lot of heartache.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:24 AM

9,122 posts, read 14,664,501 times
Since Pulte the builder gets a kickback from Pulte Mortgage, I would not use them for the same total cost to me. If they want their kickback, make it worth my while.

We are with WF, though it was originated in 2006 before the buyout. We refinanced in 2009 or 10 with them as well and have had no issues so far.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times
Usually a builder will offer you closing costs if you use their preferred mortgage.

Most of the time, the closing costs aren't worth it if you end up with a higher rate and higher fees.

Once your rate is locked in, you need to know how long that lock is for. Your rate shouldn't change if you were locked in unless YOU changed something...a new purchase, late payment, etc.

As to the bank selling your mortgage...shouldn't really matter to you as long as you make your payments on time.

Credit Unions usually have great rates on adjustable mortgages but tend to be higher on 30 year fixed mortgages.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:00 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,065,245 times
Looks like Pulte is cheaper. Lender fees are higher, but you're getting more than that back in incentives, yes?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:56 PM

19,361 posts, read 27,571,517 times
May I suggest you also post this question to the mortgage forum for CD? There are two very, very knowledgeable mortgage guys over there (SmartMoney and Pfhtex) who will give you a very straight answer from their educated perspective.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 13,409 times
Thanks everyone.
Thanks Jkgourmet, I already posted the same to the mortgage forum.
Thanks RedZin. I am getting incentives but ended up not much of a differences. Only $220 closing cost difference and $216 extra per year to go with Wells Fargo.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:53 AM

316 posts, read 1,507,516 times
Do not use Wells Fargo! I've heard nothing but bad things about them. I used BB&T and it was such an excellent process. It was fast, and only slightly painful. I was approved in about 21 days for a FDA mortgage

Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM

28,563 posts, read 18,566,859 times
OTOH, I just closed a couple of weeks ago and had a good experience with Wells Fargo.

I'd have to say, though, that the WF morgage rep we worked with was personally the major factor in our experience. He stayed on top of things, stayed in close communication to the extent that even the title company rep commented at closing, "Wow, he really stays on top of things." And that was at long distance.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:02 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,282,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
OTOH, I just closed a couple of weeks ago and had a good experience with Wells Fargo.

I'd have to say, though, that the WF morgage rep we worked with was personally the major factor in our experience. He stayed on top of things, stayed in close communication to the extent that even the title company rep commented at closing, "Wow, he really stays on top of things." And that was at long distance.
Most of the time, it really does come down to the person you are working with. You gotta shop the human beings involved as much as the rate and terms. I'd happily pay a little more in fees or take a higher rate if I know I'm working with a seasoned professional. Not saying that's necessary, but given the choice, the answer is obvious, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages