Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,155 times

Advertisements

Hello-we have been approved and are scheduled to close on our mortgage refinance next week. Well yesterday, my husband got let go from his job. They did the VOE's on both of us this past week before we received the final approval letter. We are refinancing with our current lender and our payments will actually be significantly less than we currently pay. Do I need to notify them that he lost his job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:44 PM

494 posts, read 849,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlcole73 View Post
Hello-we have been approved and are scheduled to close on our mortgage refinance next week. Well yesterday, my husband got let go from his job. They did the VOE's on both of us this past week before we received the final approval letter. We are refinancing with our current lender and our payments will actually be significantly less than we currently pay. Do I need to notify them that he lost his job?
I wouldn't. Even though the information should make them more likely to want you to refinance, banks don't always work that way. And you need the lower payment.

I know this is probably technically not the correct advice, but this is what I would do.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:09 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
I would not notify them. You need the lower payment & are close to closing. Simple as that.

If there's any question about the debt to income without his salary, your loan will probably be denied otherwise

Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 8,130 times
If you don't notify them, you commit fraud.

You will sign a document at closing that certifies there has been no change in employment.

You signed a document at time of application that you would notify of material changes.

Have your husband find a new job, and then work on closing your refinance.

Do the right thing, and sleep well at night.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:40 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Wait a minute!

Will your husband be receiving pay beyond the closing date? Ie, is he getting 4 weeks (or whatever) pay? If so, it's not a lie. While I agree not speaking up is the incorrect thing to do if pay has been terminated, I completely see the logic in keeping it to yourself. With the same bank on the hook, I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone to judge you. And if you do go through with this, keep this to yourselves - friends are few when jealousy could be present.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Mortgage Associate View Post
If you don't notify them, you commit fraud.

You will sign a document at closing that certifies there has been no change in employment.

You signed a document at time of application that you would notify of material changes.

Have your husband find a new job, and then work on closing your refinance.

Do the right thing, and sleep well at night.
While I agree with you for the most part, if the individual laid off is receiving severance for the next 30 to 90 days, , technically, the termination date may not occur until the pay stops. Technically, there would be no fraud if the separation date is after the closing. While a professional in the field can see the problem, it's a grey area no one would blame the novice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages