Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times

Advertisements

At this point we'll talk with the landlord first and see where she stands and see what could potentially be "worked out". One thing I didn't factor in... we did have a $1,100 security deposit with her for renting.. I'd have to imagine we can use that for something right? Maybe part of closing costs?

Then I think at the turn of the New Year we'll get serious and sit down with a lender... any advice on who to go with? Our bank (PNC) actually does mortgages... I've seen some say to stay away from banks though? Is there a "better" option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
At this point we'll talk with the landlord first and see where she stands and see what could potentially be "worked out". One thing I didn't factor in... we did have a $1,100 security deposit with her for renting.. I'd have to imagine we can use that for something right? Maybe part of closing costs?

Then I think at the turn of the New Year we'll get serious and sit down with a lender... any advice on who to go with? Our bank (PNC) actually does mortgages... I've seen some say to stay away from banks though? Is there a "better" option?
Whether it is a bank or broker, it comes down to the person. One of the other lenders here actually posted how to interview a good lender.

Good luck

Old 09-18-2014, 03:42 PM

58 posts, read 104,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Whether it is a bank or broker, it comes down to the person. One of the other lenders here actually posted how to interview a good lender.

Good luck
With credit score like yours a mortgage broker would probably be able to get you a better rate. You could ask around or work with a company recommended by your realtor. Also , you'll need to have a preapproval letter when you make an offer so anything you can pay off now to get credit score up.

I recently bought a house and my score was low due to some disputes a decade ago. Be sure you can explain your low score and be prepared to jump through more hopes. The days of easy loans are over.

I'd also see if you could save up the 20% or 23k necessary for a down payment. You'd pay no PMI and probably get a better rate.

Good luck. Buying was the most stressful thing I've ever done and I had to stay updated with both realtor and lender.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:06 AM

My wife's aunt and uncle are both realtor's so we should probably take advantage of that.... I would think (and hope) that they can point us in the best direction possible.

As for downpayment... I know it's ideal to get 20%... we'll try real hard for that but right now it'll be hard. Anything over 10% I'll certainly be happy... 20% would be amazing.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:16 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
You should look into first time home buyer programs like this one. They help with everything including down payments, interest rates, etc. and can give you good advice....

First Time Home Buyer | First Time Home Buyer Programs

Old 10-09-2014, 09:08 AM

So just a quick update for everyone... we actually spoke to our landlord/owner of the house yesterday and boy is her situation not good, which will majorly affect us.

Bottom-line is that she apparently owes way more then the house is probably worth. She still has $148,000 left to pay on the mortgage and comparable homes in the area for that type of house are running no higher than $130,000.

Her father actually is helping her pay the taxes and other fees that are not included in our rent and he's pretty much dictating what's going on. He said that there's no way he can sell the house without at least breaking even. So unless someone is stupid enough to overpay for this house they will never sell it.

I guess good luck to them.. they're going to need it. Disappointing for us considering we love the house and don't want to move but we have to do what's best for us and what makes the most sense.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:12 AM

20 posts, read 48,254 times
Take help from estate agent, he will provide you the best information about home buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages