Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 09:35 PM

492 posts, read 487,055 times

Advertisements

My Credit Union Banks GFE gives me closing costs under the following heads (besides the Escrows):

Adjusted Origination Charges
Appraisal Fee
Credit Report
Tax Service
Flood Certification
ULDD Submission to Ellie Mae
Title services and lender’s title insurance
(This charge includes the services of a title or settlement agent, for example, and title insurance to
protect the lender, if required)
Owner’s title insurance
Government recording charges

Another bank's GFE gives me cost under these heads:

Origination Fee
AMC Admin fee to SIR
Settlement and Closing Fee to Lawyer
Title services and lender’s title insurance [This includes 1) Lender's Title insurance to lawyers Title, 2) Title Search 3) Municipality Lien Search]
Owner’s title insurance to lawyer's title
Appraisal Fee
Credit Report
Recording charges

First GFE charges for Tax service, and Flood certification, while the second GFE charges for Title search and Municipality Lien Search.
Can anybody guide why are both the GFE headings different?.
I am inclined to go for the first one as its mortgage rate is lower. However, it does not have title and municipal Lien search (probably thats why its closing costs are about 400$ and I don't want to be surprised later with these costs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 09:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Both scenarios include your title work (search and insurance), I think? I am confused if you don't think so? FYI, it's one search and 2 policies issued: one to the lender; one to you.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 PM

In the Itemized worksheet of first GFE, the title services and lender's title insurance heading shows two costs under it: one- Lender's title insurance and the other Closing/ Settlement fee. It does not mention Title search or Municipality Lien Search.
While in the other GFE, the Closing / settlement cost is given separately, but the title services include lenders title insurance, title search and municipality search.
The price of lender's title insurance is lower in the first GFE than in the second..so there is no reason to believe that the title search fee is incorporated in that charge.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I am moving this thread to the mortgage forum where it will get more answers. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-30-2014, 05:08 PM

I finally went with my credit union bank

They had not mentioned Municipal Search and so I called them and asked them why. They asked me to talk to the attorney. The attorney which was also the bank's attorney replied..that generally we dont get municipall search done unless asked by the buyer (except in Fairfield county where it seems it needs to be done).
On my asking the attorney agreed to do the minuicipal search at an additional cost of $150. I agreed.
Its good that i got municipal search done as there were few open permits yet to be closed.

Surprisingly, in my final statemnt at closing, there was no mention of $150. I didnot bring this topic at that time as I thought I will have to pay if I remind them.
Finally ..we have closed and moved on...
It was a good experience with my bank...very smooth..no headaches. I am surprised how people say that mortgage is the most difficult part of home purchase. I think it was the easiest part...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages