Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,660 times

Advertisements

Hello, I live near Rochester NY and I have a few questions about re-financing. I currently have a private mortgage and will be applying for a bank mortgage at a lower interest rate.

1) I have remodeled much of my house because I didn't know you needed a building permit to do work inside your own home. Yeah, I'm young and dumb I guess. I put new hardwood floors in, added a bathroom and took one away (so it equals out), and added an in-law suite in our garage. The in-law suite has full kitchen, bathroom, electric etc. QUESTION - Will the assessor for the BANK ask for building permits for the work done inside?

2) Will the assessed value that the bank gives, have any impact on my property taxes? Will the town find out that the value of my home has gone up?

All work was done to code.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
You need to get the in law suite inspected and permitted....

Old 10-28-2014, 05:05 AM

577 posts, read 663,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by microscopes View Post
Hello, I live near Rochester NY and I have a few questions about re-financing. I currently have a private mortgage and will be applying for a bank mortgage at a lower interest rate.

1) I have remodeled much of my house because I didn't know you needed a building permit to do work inside your own home. Yeah, I'm young and dumb I guess. I put new hardwood floors in, added a bathroom and took one away (so it equals out), and added an in-law suite in our garage. The in-law suite has full kitchen, bathroom, electric etc. QUESTION - Will the assessor for the BANK ask for building permits for the work done inside?

2) Will the assessed value that the bank gives, have any impact on my property taxes? Will the town find out that the value of my home has gone up?

Thank you.

1. The in-law suite may be a problem, or maybe not. Depending on your area, zoning, and what is normal, it may have some value, none, or be a detriment, as you no longer have a garage. In my area, the second stove could make it considered to be a second dwelling unit and may violate local codes, remove the stove and it's a rec room. The appraiser may ask if it was done with permits. The appraiser will value it as is customary for the area.

2. The appraised value for the bank has nothing to do with property taxes. The town has their own method of valuing property that has to do with whether or not you get an appraisal for a loan.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:16 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
1) They'll check county records and confirm with you that there are no permits. They are there to assess the value, not the permit police.
2) No

Old 11-03-2014, 05:41 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,915,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by microscopes View Post

Thank you.
I'm down here in L.I. - anytime you are adding or altering your survey, will need a C/O certificate to file with the county. Anything you do under the existing roof like replacing a floor or moving a wall, is your own business. Short off adding new pumping, running a gas line, electrical writing or adding solar panels. That will need to be inspected...

A few years ago we had our basement fully remodeled. Adding bedroom, living area and bathroom-shower. Remember the installer not closing up one of the walls because he said the town inspector would want to inspect the pumping. When the inspector came he found another problem, no boiler egress venting. He said it was like a pressure cooker waiting to explode.

We had solar panels installed, in two years what we have saved has made up what we paid for the installation. It required an inspector from the utility company, called our HO insurance checking if we need to add it. They said congrats, and said it was covered becuase we were not expanding the home.

Applying for a refinance. The appraiser will inspect your home inside and out to compare with similar properties near you. If you have any open construction not completed, the appraiser could hit you with a cost to cure (x2 of the actual cost) and deduct it from your value. Depending how through the appraiser is, may or may not ask to see any certificates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages