Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post

I was trying to see if a bank would grant a first mortgage if there was a second mortgage that surpassed the appraised value.
No. You've been told that repeatedly. And you've claimed that the "second mortgage" - your personal loan of $100K - would not be secured by the home, but by some other (supposed) assets.

To the bank, the value of the house is $200K. Period. They don't give a rat's pattooty what you and this (supposed) buyer think it's worth.

I've deleted the rest of your post because it makes no sense, at least, not to me.

My final point is this: If this guy is making as much money as you claim, why doesn't he just pay you $100K in cash and do WTH he wants with the mortgage on the $200K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 01:32 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No. You've been told that repeatedly. And you've claimed that the "second mortgage" - your personal loan of $100K - would not be secured by the home, but by some other (supposed) assets.

To the bank, the value of the house is $200K. Period. They don't give a rat's pattooty what you and this (supposed) buyer think it's worth.

I've deleted the rest of your post because it makes no sense, at least, not to me.

My final point is this: If this guy is making as much money as you claim, why doesn't he just pay you $100K in cash and do WTH he wants with the mortgage on the $200K?
I'm sorry that you are not able to comprehend what I'm trying to say.

I acknowledge that a second MORTGAGE secured by the house would probably not fly. I was simply answering the poster's question as to why the original post was written the way it was.

But no one here has answered, and even you have asked:
"IF the buyer's DTI allowed the personal loan (which is NOT secured by the house), why would the bank turn down the mortgage?"

It doesn't matter if the second loan is secured or not, that would just make the seller feel more comfortable since they couldn't secure the loan against the subject home.

And this is not an actual scenario... I haven't claimed it to be such.

People with BILLIONS of dollars still take out mortgages, the opportunity cost of locking $100K into a home in a low interest environment is not very smart in my opinion.... but that's not even the point of this post.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:04 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:

People with BILLIONS of dollars still take out mortgages, the opportunity cost of locking $100K into a home in a low interest environment is not very smart in my opinion.... but that's not even the point of this post.
I'll agree with you that taking out a mortgage at these low interest rates can be a smart thing to do.

But people with BILLIONS of dollars aren't going to be buying a house for 50% higher than it's appraised value. Unless they somehow got BILLIONS of dollars doing stupid stuff.

Since this is not a real scenario (I'm sure that we all wish you had told us that in the first place), why don't you take it over to the philosophical questions board.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:17 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
What I was trying to say here is that the buyer only wants to put down a total of 20% on a $300K "purchase" price.

20% of the 200K first mortgage would be $40K

I was trying to see if a bank would grant a first mortgage if there was a second mortgage that surpassed the appraised value. So I was just stating that the "2nd mortgage" of $100K would consist of a $20K "downpayment" or cash to seller for an actual loan of $80K

If this transaction were to complete, the seller would cash out $200K from the first mortgage transaction and $20K from the "2nd mortgage" and only have an outstanding loan of $80K.
Technically you are putting $140k down of which $80,000 is borrower money. In addition you are receiving funds related to the sale outside of sales transaction.

Would the seller give you the loan if you didn't buy the property?

Old 11-14-2014, 03:43 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,268 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that you are not able to comprehend what I'm trying to say.

I acknowledge that a second MORTGAGE secured by the house would probably not fly. I was simply answering the poster's question as to why the original post was written the way it was.

But no one here has answered, and even you have asked:
"IF the buyer's DTI allowed the personal loan (which is NOT secured by the house), why would the bank turn down the mortgage?"

It doesn't matter if the second loan is secured or not, that would just make the seller feel more comfortable since they couldn't secure the loan against the subject home.

I think you missed the part where I mentioned that a primary reason for the bank not lending is because of the increased risk the borrower would walk away from the property because they now have loans out on the house for far more than the property is worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages