Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:10 PM

213 posts, read 237,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Marrying someone with spending/credit issues will haunt you your entire marriage. I wouldn't marry him until he gets his credit score up and proves to you that he is responsible.
What a terrible suggestion . The guy filed bankruptcy several years ago and hasn't had credit since and now he's gonna be a bad husband?

Old 02-12-2015, 05:38 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Smartmoney, Thank you.

He filed for bankruptcy about 10 years ago according to what he has shown me from his most recent credit report from credit karma.

We both live in CT.
There is no reason you can't have him ready to buy in six months to one year if you move on this sooner than later.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:08 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
erjunkee,
If his BK was 10 years ago, it's not an issue, it's been long enough and only a factor because of the collections, and even then, it's a speed bump, not a mountain. You are in luck, medical collections are not even part of the equation or a very small part of it.......the reason, over-zealous medical collectors have shot themselves in the foot and now they are regarded as a nuisance, not as a serious debt collector when it comes to credit scoring. He'll still have to pay them (if they are valid) to get a mortgage, but this is not anywhere as bad as you may think. Get those paid (after verifying the debt exists), get him on the road to establishing new credit and this may be a non problem in the near future.

Where the issue lies w/ bankruptcies is bad credit afterwards........and as in "credit," I mean credit cards and loans, medical collections don't count for the reasons above. If he is on a lease, it's possible to get the landlord to add it to his credit history.

This may not be as bad as you thought - I was thinking the BK was within the past 4 or 5 years. DM me if you need assistance.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
You need to get him to get "new" credit. He might not want a credit card, nor use it, but you need the revolving credit as new credit to bring up his score. The more credit you're allowed to borrow, though you aren't using it, the higher your score can go.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Thank you for your input.

Of us two, I'm the one making a very high income(I'm an ED physician), enough to the point where I can pay off my debit within 2 years. But, I understand what you're saying, nevertheless.
There is no need to include your soon to be husband on the loan. Get a conventional loan in just your name and his credit won't come into play in any fashion. Piece of cake.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:53 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
My husband had a credit score that was likely in the 500s when we got married 14 years ago. He had a very high credit usage and a lot of student loans and a high DTI ratio. He also hadn't been great about paying on time and had a lot of 30s and even some 60s and 90s, although he always got caught up again.

We bought a house 3 years after we got married, and his credit was a little better, but his DTI was still really high. I had no debt, so we bought a house using my credit and my income only. The lender required the house be in my name only. Turned out to be a great decision, since husband lost his job and was out of work for a year. If we had bought a house based on both our incomes, we wouldn't have been able to afford the payment.

I kicked him a few times and made sure that paying bills on time was a priority. We refinanced this year and put both of us on the new mortgage and deed. About 5 years ago, we paid off the last of our non-mortgage debt, which was awesome. When we refinanced, his credit score was 3 or 4 points better than mine, but we were both around 820.

If you are the primary breadwinner, buy a house in your name, based on your credit and your income. That way, whatever he makes is a bonus, that you aren't depending on. You'll be more financially stable, and be able to build up an emergency fund, retirement savings, etc.

Biggest concern here is are you planning on having kids, and if so, are you both on board with him staying home while you keep your high paying job? Or hiring a nanny and both of you continuing to work?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Marrying someone with spending/credit issues will haunt you your entire marriage. I wouldn't marry him until he gets his credit score up and proves to you that he is responsible.
And some of them learn their lesson.

My husband had TERRIBLE credit when we were first married but mine was excellent. He learned in his younger years the hard way that credit cards can put you financially in a bind. It took several years of building his but he was never irresponsible after that point and we bought our first home (first one only in his name) 4 years after we were married. His credit score now is around 815.

So I wouldn't automatically assume someone who is young will always be irresponsible with their money or credit.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You need to get him to get "new" credit. He might not want a credit card, nor use it, but you need the revolving credit as new credit to bring up his score. The more credit you're allowed to borrow, though you aren't using it, the higher your score can go.
She needs that like a hole in the head. HE NEEDS, not she needs. This is how a lot of that mess with the home load markets came to be, people who really didn't take care of their personal finances and were ill equipped to manage them.

Let someone else do it.

No one finds it strange that she is doing the leg work and he isn't? As someone esle said, this is a disaster in the making.

It hasn't been months of not fixing the credit, its been years.

Yes, credit can be fixed. You fix credit before you start working on the nice house and all that goes with it, not only when you figure out you need credit.

Friends in need are friends indeed.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
She needs that like a hole in the head. HE NEEDS, not she needs. This is how a lot of that mess with the home load markets came to be, people who really didn't take care of their personal finances and were ill equipped to manage them.

Let someone else do it.

No one finds it strange that she is doing the leg work and he isn't? As someone esle said, this is a disaster in the making.

It hasn't been months of not fixing the credit, its been years.

Yes, credit can be fixed. You fix credit before you start working on the nice house and all that goes with it, not only when you figure out you need credit.

Friends in need are friends indeed.

Please do me a favor and stop posting here.

You haven't contributed anything helpful to the thread, in the two long posts you've written so far.

There's nothing objective or useful about anything you've posted. I could understand if there was something...anything...that you've written that I could use. But, there's nothing. Biting criticism may be your mode of communication , but it's neither wanted nor needed on this thread. If you're having a problem posting anything of any use, no worries: I'll be glad to contact the moderators on your behalf.

As is, your posts are useless and really aren't helping/aiding me...neither is it helping anyone else who reads this thread and is looking for sound advice.

So why bother? Seriously. Please stop.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:15 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Easiest way to start getting his score up, take a card you have and make him an authorized user. Don't give him the card if you don't trust him not to abuse it(though if you don't trust him for that you may have bigger issues).

Overall, you're not going to be able to do much considering the Bankruptcy will be there for 7 years(I think) and those accounts in collections are continuing to drag down his score.

I'd just start planning to get approved on your own. I don't think you'll be able to get approved with his score by most lenders, at least not without paying a steep premium in interest rates.

Last edited by Jeo123; 02-12-2015 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages