Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 02:39 PM

772 posts, read 907,839 times

Advertisements

Hello, I bought my house 6 years ago. I lost every single piece of paper showing my house was financed through wells fargo, and the title company, title insurance, everything.

How do I, if I ever need to, show that I own the house, or that I bought the house but have a mortgage on it?

does the county, keep records of every address and who owns it. Is me paying taxes on it every year enough proof ?

Or do I need to track down the title company, ( if still in business ) and ask them for a certain document?

Do I need to get a document from my Mortgage comany?

Any help apreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 03:11 PM

341 posts, read 300,135 times
I would start by going to the registry of deeds and get copies of your documents there.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,876 times
Depending on What State you reside, simply go back to the title company that closed you and see what records or copies they may have. Sometimes they may have your file saved digitally, 6 years ago would put you after the mortgage crisis was already under way.

You may be able to go online to the county as the previous post recommonds as well.
Or unless there is a reason not to, call you lender and ask for another copy of your signed closing docs. It may take some time to get to the right person, but they should be able to get it for you as well.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:40 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,229,582 times
You can get a copy of the deed and mortgage from your local clerk of court/probate (whatever you call it there). The deeds and mortgages are filed publicly so that should be easy for you to get.

You will not need any of the rest of the documentation you signed at your closing when you sell your home to "prove" you own it, but you could check with the attorney/title company who closed it to see if you can get a copy of your package and HUD. Since the deeds/mortgages are filed publicly, when you sell they will do a title search revealing what liens you have and will work to insure any existing mortgages are paid. A new title policy will also be issued (typically).

Last edited by LCTMadison; 03-18-2015 at 06:48 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 08:12 AM

658 posts, read 719,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
You can get a copy of the deed and mortgage from your local clerk of court/probate (whatever you call it there). The deeds and mortgages are filed publicly so that should be easy for you to get.

You will not need any of the rest of the documentation you signed at your closing when you sell your home to "prove" you own it, but you could check with the attorney/title company who closed it to see if you can get a copy of your package and HUD. Since the deeds/mortgages are filed publicly, when you sell they will do a title search revealing what liens you have and will work to insure any existing mortgages are paid. A new title policy will also be issued (typically).
^ this!

Old 03-18-2015, 01:15 PM

8,539 posts, read 12,276,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
^^^This. In Minnesota, I believe it's called the County Recorder's Office. One good thing about recording Deeds and other documents is that the County becomes your permanent document file. Their records system is usually much more secure than anything an individual could set up for themselves, as you have learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages