Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Yes but how much would the increase in interest rate cost you per month?
I don't know yet. I've only received estimates on the scenario where I would pay the PMI. I intend to go with whichever scenario results in the lower monthly mortgage payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you're so concerned with right now then why buy a house at all? If you are thinking short term, then better to keep your downpayment cash liquid and rent.
I'm thinking about right now because right now matters. I want a mortgage payment that I'm happy with from the start, so the idea of PMI dropping off eventually isn't all that comforting to me.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't know yet. I've only received estimates on the scenario where I would pay the PMI. I intend to go with whichever scenario results in the lower monthly mortgage payment.
I bet the difference is smaller than you'd think. It is likely in the 20-30 dollars/month range, which really wouldn't make much of a difference in how much house you can afford, especially after you factor in the tax deduction. But keep me posted when you figure out the exact number.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I bet the difference is smaller than you'd think. It is likely in the 20-30 dollars/month range, which really wouldn't make much of a difference in how much house you can afford, especially after you factor in the tax deduction. But keep me posted when you figure out the exact number.
The online mortgage calculator showed the higher interest rate scenario to be better, so I was going by that. Of course I had to make up the rate since the lenders are so secretive about that too even though they've already pulled my credit.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
The online mortgage calculator showed the higher interest rate scenario to be better, so I was going by that. Of course I had to make up the rate since the lenders are so secretive about that too even though they've already pulled my credit.
Your lender should not. Ask them.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
You're right. The interest rate they quoted for LPMI is 4.5% vs. 3.75% for PMI, so the monthly mortgage amount ends up being only a few dollars less with LPMI...guess I won't be going that route after all.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
You're right. The interest rate they quoted for LPMI is 4.5% vs. 3.75% for PMI, so the monthly mortgage amount ends up being only a few dollars less with LPMI...guess I won't be going that route after all.
Guessing you are doing a relatively small loan. The rate difference on most of the LPMI deals I have done is .375-.500% higher and the payment reduction can be pretty substantial.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Guessing you are doing a relatively small loan. The rate difference on most of the LPMI deals I have done is .375-.500% higher and the payment reduction can be pretty substantial.
I expect the loan amount will be between 230K-250K, but I haven't found a house yet!

Old 05-19-2015, 11:28 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
With the LPMI, my monthly mortgage payment would be less than what it would be with PMI. I understand that PMI doesn't last forever, but I'm concerned with right now. Someone above mentioned that I could have found a cheaper house, but I'm having problems finding what I'm looking for and having a bit more flexibility to increase the sales price would help.
If you are only concerned with cash flows in the near terms, you shouldn't buy at all, you should rent. Even if PITI would be less than rent, if you amortize your down payment over a short period such as 3 years, you almost certainly will be out of pocket more by buying than by renting.

It is true that this ignores the long-term impacts, but if this concerns you, then you are not really "concerned mainly with the near term" after all.

Which is it?

You seem to be taking conflicting positions simultaneously.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you are only concerned with cash flows in the near terms, you shouldn't buy at all, you should rent. Even if PITI would be less than rent, if you amortize your down payment over a short period such as 3 years, you almost certainly will be out of pocket more by buying than by renting.

It is true that this ignores the long-term impacts, but if this concerns you, then you are not really "concerned mainly with the near term" after all.

Which is it?

You seem to be taking conflicting positions simultaneously.
See post #22 where I previously responded to you on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages