Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
They also very well known on changing terms in last possible minutes, so their great deal are not so great. My co-worker had to find another lender because online lender changed things around dramatically.

I had no problems at all using an Online Lender. It saved money and was very easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:02 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Nope. Just me, my agent(probably wasn't necessary but he was my cousin), my lawyer, and the lawyer for the seller. The seller himself wasn't actually even there, he just signed his pieces ahead of time.

All that matters is the signatures. While not common, there's nothing stopping people from doing a closing without ever meeting in person.
Our friends recommended a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant that was based about an hour away from us. We used him when we bought a house three years ago and I still have no idea what he looks like. We did everything over phone, mail and email.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:23 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Since 1991, I've purchased four homes, done at least four re-fi's, had several lines of credit. With the exception of one line of credit, I've yet to personally meet ANY of the loan officers.

Admittedly, the first mortgage in 1991 was an assumable, so I just paid off the sellers and took over their note at the closing table (this is not really an option any more). But after that, everything was handled by phone, fax, US mail, scanners and electronic signature. Even when I used a local lender, I never bothered to go downtown to his office. I'm an ex-accountant, and I initially, I had people in my office who helped me understand the paperwork.

I've used online lenders for refi's and purchases. Some are very good at what they do, others not so good. One warning: If you don't know the process, get someone to hold your hand. I would definitely NOT do an online mortgage unless you know what you are doing (and OP is clearly a newbie.)

Save thousands???? Nope. Save hundreds? Maybe - but more importantly to me, it was just easier and took less of MY time. If you don't know what you are doing, the mistakes YOU make could cost you thousands, so don't be a hard head - get somebody to help you (preferably a mortgage broker you trust).

For refi's, the online lenders sent a notary to my office or home. For purchases, they sent the docs to the closing company.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:44 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
All I know is I applied on LendingTree for a second small home for my mother in law that I definitely could afford (as I successfully bought it through my local CU). I wasnt approved for any through LendingTree but now get TONS of spam mail to my house and email.....hmm.....

Old 06-10-2015, 01:04 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
All I know is I applied on LendingTree for a second small home for my mother in law that I definitely could afford (as I successfully bought it through my local CU). I wasnt approved for any through LendingTree but now get TONS of spam mail to my house and email.....hmm.....
Lending tree is a slightly different animal. Going there is like putting a post on craigslist. The site doesn't actually do anything relating to the process, they just help you get in touch with people who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages