Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 AM

18 posts, read 104,331 times

Advertisements

I’m moving down to NC and buying my first house and I have a few questions…
[SIZE=3]My husband has bad credit and filed for[/SIZE] bankruptcy 4 years ago and has not done anything to improve it since. I on the other hand have good credit (795 on the new Vantage Score). I have 30k for for a down payment. No credit card debt or loans out.

How long would I have to wait in a new job before applying for a mortgage?

I will most likely be making around 45K when I move down there, How much would I qualify for? My husband will be making around 40k but won't be counted on the loan application due to bad credit.

I'm hoping to buy a house around 160k - 175k, is this reasonable and will I qualify for this amount? I don't want my payments to be more than 1000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:29 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times
175k purchase price
136k loan amount (if you want to avoid PMI)

6% 30yr fixed (average rate)
815.39 monthly payment
60 for Homeowners (720 annual) estimate
150 for property taxes (1800 annual) estimate
1025.39 Total (may include Homeowner association dues)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1chloe View Post
I’m moving down to NC and buying my first house and I have a few questions…
[SIZE=3]My husband has bad credit and filed for[/SIZE] bankruptcy 4 years ago and has not done anything to improve it since. I on the other hand have good credit (795 on the new Vantage Score). I have 30k for for a down payment. No credit card debt or loans out.

How long would I have to wait in a new job before applying for a mortgage?

I will most likely be making around 45K when I move down there, How much would I qualify for? My husband will be making around 40k but won't be counted on the loan application due to bad credit.

I'm hoping to buy a house around 160k - 175k, is this reasonable and will I qualify for this amount? I don't want my payments to be more than 1000 a month.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:06 AM

18 posts, read 104,331 times
Am I able to get a mortgage on my own for this amount? Without my husbands salary on the loan

Old 01-26-2008, 09:10 AM

Sure looks like it.

I think you were at 40% of your gross income when I checked....some lenders allow you to go to 65%

Old 01-26-2008, 07:32 PM

324 posts, read 1,285,507 times
I don't know where in NC you are looking but you might check out NACA (they are a non-profit mortgage company). They don't look at credit scores to determine loan. Instead they look at credit reports and as long as they see you can save the difference between rent and mortgage and make steps to amend your report they will approve you. The process is longer than most but their program is really awesome with rates regularly 1% below market. We locked in at 4.75% 30 year fixed, they have no down payment requirement, or PMI (but do have a $50 monthly fee for 5-10 years which goes to helping you out in case you lose a job and can't make payments, they will pay up to three of your payments to ward off foreclosure). We had 10% for down payment and instead used it to buy down the loan to 1.8%. They don't have income caps to qualify but cap the purchase price, in the triangle area is 200k Anyway thought I would throw that out there as an option for you to joint qualify and get an awesome rate.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:46 PM

You're probably one of the only borrowers that I have heard that actually closed.(I'm assuming you have) Classes take 2-3months ...and you're required to participate with them after you purchase/refinance your home.
Paying the 50bucks can't be deducted on taxes...and I hear they place a lien on your property. Someone posted this on this mortgage forum last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages