Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 09:23 PM

24 posts, read 86,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell10201 View Post
If I can't buy a house right now, I'm never going to buy one-because I'm never going to have any money.

Our situation is not going to change in the near future. So I figure I might as well give it a shot.

A home inspection or appraisal fee can't be paid with a credit card?
Most home inspection companies take plastic if your willing to increase your debt ratio.. ;-/

So954 Made a great point regarding first time homeowners programs.. check your state and local finance authorities.

I got 2500 towards closing plus a mortgage credit certificate which allows a certain tax credit (versus deduction) for interest paid. Each program is different and certain qualifications have to be met. Interest rates are pretty much fixed.

For a 100k home fha, I spent 1.5k on earnest+inspection+appraisal and had to have 2k sitting in the bank on the day of closing. I had some seller credit so I ended up getting my Ernest money back :-).

If you know how to manage your money, you'll have a much better aim than you do just shooting from the hip.

Just saying...

Last edited by youngins; 08-18-2015 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:51 PM

118 posts, read 210,205 times
All valid points. We're not very good with money, but better than some people that I know. We have managed to pay all of our bills on time, and have pretty decent things. We're not really in any major debt (aside from car) or financial trouble to speak of.

The problem is that we live like we're rich. We live in my grandfathers apartment building, so the rent is super cheap, which just enables us to buy things we would have never been able to get.

Good example, We have a brand new mini van. I suppose we didn't need to buy a brand new car...but because we are living in an apartment for next to nothing, we could do it. FYI, it has NEVER had a missed or late payment, not even once.

It's just that we can't save any extra money.

If we didn't want to have anything nice, we could have saved some $...however if that was the case, we literally would have nothing.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 PM

24 posts, read 86,776 times
Quote:
If we didn't want to have anything nice, we could have saved some $...however if that was the case, we literally would have nothing.
Wells Fargo has a program where they deposit $ in a savings account for every debit transaction.

Might be your only solution since it appears your hell bent on spending like there is no tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,724,621 times
Quote:
All valid points. We're not very good with money, but better than some people that I know. We have managed to pay all of our bills on time, and have pretty decent things. We're not really in any major debt (aside from car) or financial trouble to speak of.

The problem is that we live like we're rich. We live in my grandfathers apartment building, so the rent is super cheap, which just enables us to buy things we would have never been able to get.

Good example, We have a brand new mini van. I suppose we didn't need to buy a brand new car...but because we are living in an apartment for next to nothing, we could do it. FYI, it has NEVER had a missed or late payment, not even once.

It's just that we can't save any extra money.

It's about priorities. If you want to throw your money away don't cry when you can't get a USDA loan.

Only rich people can live like they are rich. The ones who are not are living like suckers.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 PM

118 posts, read 210,205 times
Quote:
If you want to throw your money away don't cry when you can't get a USDA loan.
Well, to me having nice things is important. I'm not saying I have the best of the best, but I don't want junk. I know some people where I walk into there home and literally ALL of there belongings look like they should be thrown into a dumpster. A bunch of broken and dingy crap.

Also, maybe I'm confused but, When did I say I cannot get a USDA loan? I've already been pre-approved for a $120,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngins View Post
Wells Fargo has a program where they deposit $ in a savings account for every debit transaction.

Might be your only solution since it appears your hell bent on spending like there is no tomorrow.

You're*

And, we don't "spend like there is no tomorrow". I'm talking mostly about furniture and other household things.

We're just going to try and save up a few thousands dollars from this point forward and see what happens. We do have some money in the bank, but want to leave that alone. Our plan is to try and save and sell some extra "stuff" that we don't need or want.

If any of these houses are still available in a month, great. If not, then it wasn't meant to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages