Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:13 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,176,505 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy a condo for rental purpose, but I am short of 20% down payment. I can only afford around 10% down payment, considering other closing costs.

Maybe I can borrow some money out of my 401 account to make up 20%, but I prefer not to do so if 20% is not required.

Technically, I think I can afford to buy a rental property. Since buying my first house (primary residence one plus year ago), my income has increased over 20% and I have also saved up some money since then. Be precise, I don't feel burden to handle current mortgage, and feel I can handle another rental property if I can get the loan. I expect the future rent can pay off all the related cost (mortgage, tax, insurance, condo fee, maintenance, etc). As long as I can get the loan, it should not cause financial burden on me in the next few years.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 12:51 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
I would like to buy a condo for rental purpose, but I am short of 20% down payment. I can only afford around 10% down payment, considering other closing costs.

Maybe I can borrow some money out of my 401 account to make up 20%, but I prefer not to do so if 20% is not required.

Technically, I think I can afford to buy a rental property. Since buying my first house (primary residence one plus year ago), my income has increased over 20% and I have also saved up some money since then. Be precise, I don't feel burden to handle current mortgage, and feel I can handle another rental property if I can get the loan. I expect the future rent can pay off all the related cost (mortgage, tax, insurance, condo fee, maintenance, etc). As long as I can get the loan, it should not cause financial burden on me in the next few years.

Thanks.
I don't want to be a buzzkill, but I believe investment property usually requires 25% down. If you have lender willing to go 20% you're doing good.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:01 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,176,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I don't want to be a buzzkill, but I believe investment property usually requires 25% down. If you have lender willing to go 20% you're doing good.

Even if my income has increased so much since first mortgage?

Mathematically, I can handle a rental property with zero down payment. Without down payment, the monthly mortgage payment is higher, but I can pull some money from my paycheck to cover the cost, the other portion comes from the rent of course.

Theoretically, lenders should consider buyer's ability to pay the mortgage, should not limited to 20% or 25% requirement.

What I am trying to say is is : I am ready to handle a rental property even if I don't have 20% down payment.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:03 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times
I'm at 15% minimum down payment, your mileage may vary as you talk with lenders.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:25 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Lenders don't care if you're "ready" to own a rental. They care about their investment in you. You won't be living there so you won't be taking care of it day in and day out. You are going to put strangers in the house. The house is a larger risk of being foreclosed on because you already have a primary place to live, so they want you to have more skin in the game so you won't want to foreclose.

It has nothing to do with your raise or your readiness. You're only ready when you have the 20-25% to put down. I haven't seen anything below 20% in years, especially on a condo, so not sure where Pfhtex can get that. Around my area, you're lucky if you're not required to put down 30%.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:28 PM

492 posts, read 486,971 times
I am also in the market looking for a condo for investment property. We have short listed also. I have talked to multiple lenders..most require 25% down payment for investment property, and some banks even asked for minimum 30% down payment. I dont know how can Pfhtex get 15% down payment???

Old 11-13-2015, 09:14 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Fannie (Direct) allows 15% down investment, but lawdy, that's a very expensive loan if you find someone to tango. Yikes! The loan level adjustments + PMI would price out in the 6's, and maybe even with points. It's in the Fannie Matrix.....don't think I would ever quote it, even if I had a price. Make that a highrise condo with the lowest acceptable credit score and I believe that will be the most expensive loan combination one could price out.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:54 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
I dont know how can Pfhtex get 15% down payment???
Then I guess it is a good thing that you are not in the business of getting people loans.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:14 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
There are always private lenders. If you can convince someone how great a risk you are in tying up their savings for 30 years, go for it!

Old 11-14-2015, 01:07 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
I am also in the market looking for a condo for investment property. We have short listed also. I have talked to multiple lenders..most require 25% down payment for investment property, and some banks even asked for minimum 30% down payment. I dont know how can Pfhtex get 15% down payment???
Not sure about 15% as I didn't inquire about it from my lender but told them I'll be putting down 20% and no issue there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages