Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 AM

946 posts, read 1,136,414 times

Advertisements

I don't have a house set in mind yet so this is only what I have been preapproved for.
1st time home buyer and I have a preapproval for 300k with 5% down. LTV is at 95%.

Should I work to lower down my LTV ratio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
"Bad" is very subjective term. You will see wide-ranging responses, most of them valid.

IMO: I'm a huge fan of putting more debt into the house than elsewhere. Load in. Usually, mortgage interest is a tax write off, and you can't tap that equity again. Cashout refinances are capped at 80% of the value, so allocate your $$ elsewhere. As far as the nuts and bolts of 5% down: you can only get a 3% seller contribution toward closing costs, and yes you end up with mortgage insurance. But with rates where they are, I really don't see that as much of an issue.

If you can swing 10% (maybe you could do so, as under that Down Payment scenario, you can get up to 6% seller-paid closing costs), you can do an 80/10/10 and avoid mortgage insurance. But if you can't, I personally see nothing wrong with a 95% scenario, as long as you can and will make the payments.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM

946 posts, read 1,136,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
"Bad" is very subjective term. You will see wide-ranging responses, most of them valid.

IMO: I'm a huge fan of putting more debt into the house than elsewhere. Load in. Usually, mortgage interest is a tax write off, and you can't tap that equity again. Cashout refinances are capped at 80% of the value, so allocate your $$ elsewhere. As far as the nuts and bolts of 5% down: you can only get a 3% seller contribution toward closing costs, and yes you end up with mortgage insurance. But with rates where they are, I really don't see that as much of an issue.

If you can swing 10% (maybe you could do so, as under that Down Payment scenario, you can get up to 6% seller-paid closing costs), you can do an 80/10/10 and avoid mortgage insurance. But if you can't, I personally see nothing wrong with a 95% scenario, as long as you can and will make the payments.
Thx for the response. What's a 80/10/10?

Old 12-09-2015, 10:55 AM

10% cash down payment. 80% "normal" mortgage (this would be in the First Lien Position, ie., in the event of foreclosure, the lender in First Lien position is first in line to get their cash.) Then a Second mortgage for 10% of the price, either a Fixed-rate (varies, but think 5-6%, possibly a 20-year fixed, don't want to muddy the water with all the permutations of this loan type), but it can also be a Home Equity Line Of Credit (HELOC), with a variable rate after a fixed period. I'd suggest the fixed term.

Because that first mortgage is at 80%, they will not require mortgage insurance, but lenders do consider the fact that you have another lien going and may nick the rate up a bit, but not more than the MI would be.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:16 PM

776 posts, read 745,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
IMO: I'm a huge fan of putting more debt into the house than elsewhere. Load in. Usually, mortgage interest is a tax write off, and you can't tap that equity again.
Are you suggesting loading all your other debts into the mortgage?

Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
Are you suggesting loading all your other debts into the mortgage?
Not intended to come across that way. I prefer high LTV mortgage notes compared to putting down a bunch of money instead of paying off credit cards and pretty much everything this side of low interest student loans. I see a lot of credit reports where money could have been much more efficiently spent retiring high interest revolving debt instead of going toward a needlessly (IMO) large down payment on a house.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:04 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
I don't have a house set in mind yet so this is only what I have been preapproved for.
1st time home buyer and I have a preapproval for 300k with 5% down. LTV is at 95%.

95% is far better than FHA or USDA. VA is almost as bad, due to the funding fee added to the balance.

If you have a strong file (strong credit, reserves), it is possible to get an 80/15/5. Your first loan would be 240K, your second 45K and then you put down 15K. This keeps the tax deduction in your favor. You may have to look around, but these loans are out there. Look for a credit union, where the rates are not increased due to a combo loan.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:57 AM

776 posts, read 745,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
95% is far better than FHA or USDA. VA is almost as bad, due to the funding fee added to the balance.

If you have a strong file (strong credit, reserves), it is possible to get an 80/15/5. Your first loan would be 240K, your second 45K and then you put down 15K. This keeps the tax deduction in your favor. You may have to look around, but these loans are out there. Look for a credit union, where the rates are not increased due to a combo loan.
You are still going to pay more out of pocket even with the tax deduction. The more money you put down the better you will come out in the long run. You will pay less interest overall and still have the deduction. I would never borrow more just for the sake of the tax deduction. You are essentially throwing money away in interest for no good reason.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:27 AM

Please forward contact info of any company offering seconds to 95% CLTV.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:44 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post

the low-down on low-down loans, pardon the pun, is that after 6% selling costs you are underwater from Day 1. Since no one can be sure they won't have to sell soon (apart, perhaps, from tenured professors and elected officials), this is a bad idea unless you have a backup plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages