Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 03:45 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times

Advertisements

Nothing.

The sky didn't fall. Any hit seems to have built itself in over the past few weeks. At this moment mortgage bonds are actually improving a little bit.

I'm glad it happened so everybody can shut up about it. The only real effect has been pageviews and ratings for fearmongers like CNBC, etc.

For even more positive news for colleagues who toughed it out: Mortgage market to completely recover
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:49 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
I hope this is so. We have a new construction build and have been unable to lock because of delays. We are farther then 60 days out. A few days ago we were offered 4% on a 30 and a 60 day but with higher fees. Assume I'm going to be impacted, it's just a matter of how much. First increase in 9 years and we are the ones penalized because of builder delays. Not happy, obviously.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:16 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
I hope this is so. We have a new construction build and have been unable to lock because of delays. We are farther then 60 days out. A few days ago we were offered 4% on a 30 and a 60 day but with higher fees. Assume I'm going to be impacted, it's just a matter of how much. First increase in 9 years and we are the ones penalized because of builder delays. Not happy, obviously.
Did you read the post above....nothing has happened. Mortgage rates remain very attractive.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:06 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
As expected. The media likes to drum up drama for ratings, nothing new there.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
We are in the exact same position. Our build just keeps getting delayed. The bank quoted us 4.125% for a 30 yesterday, which was higher than I expected. She said we should sit tight though, because she thinks it will go back down shortly. She said there was a "short term blip" and that "rates should tick back down". I'm hoping so...

Old 12-18-2015, 01:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
1/4 of a % isn't earth shaking catastrophic. It's like adding 25 bucks to your monthly loan.
It's when you start getting into the 5-6% rate and adding 1/4% it starts making a difference.
I think we could stand up to maybe 4.5/5% rates. After that it gets stuffy

Old 12-18-2015, 02:29 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
1/4 of a % isn't earth shaking catastrophic. It's like adding 25 bucks to your monthly loan.
It's when you start getting into the 5-6% rate and adding 1/4% it starts making a difference.
Yep. If only people would freak out about high-interest credit card debt, car leases, daily $5 Lattes, and other components of personal finance that actually matter.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:12 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
The all too common misconception here is that there is a correlation between the Fed's fund rate (what they raised) and mortgage interest rates. There isn't any direct connection between the 2 rates... at all.

What you need to worry about is the impact from a macroeconomic perspective. All the free money floating around is now not so free and the true impact is pretty much a mystery. Pumping $50B into the stock market every month has a long term consequence and here it comes, because now the Fed is going to have to drain significant "cash" out of the system in support of this rate hike. It's unchartered territory, unless you count Keynesians sitting around a table theorycrafting as true knowledge. The simple truth is our fractional deposit financial system based entirely on fiat (promise to pay aka debt) is stretched to practical limits. The Fed doesn't know what will happen with this hike. Money has velocity and it does not have a definitive "worth" or "value".

Judging all this by the advertised mortgage rates seems pretty silly in the big picture.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:04 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
This irritates the hell out of me and the mentality of the builder as well. $25 upwards is significant enough and we may pull out of the deal. We were planning to keep our current house and have zero debt. If the tables were reversed and we couldn't make closing, we could potentially lose a $10k deposit.

MikeyKid - good points, suppose time will tell.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:30 PM

202 posts, read 198,893 times
I lost $1600 credit from the bank just because i got a little greedy and waited for 1.5 day and later got the same Interest rate with 0 credits i wish i would have known that feds had that meeting coming up on wednesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages