Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 02:10 AM

202 posts, read 198,923 times

Advertisements

I have been paying my credit cards off every damn month always on time, that can also serve as a slap in the face of underwriter regarding my ability to pay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 06:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
You have to ask the bank what they want, not us.n Instead of creating a million scenarios just find out what they need. Most likely if they want the loan and you qualify your loan officer should be able to help you out with this mess.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
How did this thread get so twisted?

OP, you live rent-free, end of discussion. Tell your lender - most do have a rent-free option on their forms. I seriously doubt IRS is going to come knocking on your door, or we are going to have an entire generation in trouble for living rent-free off their relatives.

Tell the lender the actual balances if the credit report is incorrect.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
How did this thread get so twisted?

OP, you live rent-free, end of discussion. Tell your lender - most do have a rent-free option on their forms. I seriously doubt IRS is going to come knocking on your door, or we are going to have an entire generation in trouble for living rent-free off their relatives.

Tell the lender the actual balances if the credit report is incorrect.
Thanks ! My credit report is all good and it shows them 1 car loan still pending, so thats not a concern. Only thing is i hope they don't qualify my living rent free as a crime because their form only had "Rent or own", and amount.

In my scenario, if i say rent-free, wouldn't the lender want the LANDLORD to do a VOE? (Which landlord can deny saying i am receiving the money everymonth for this guy not from him but a company check).

Old 12-21-2015, 06:11 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanj_16 View Post
Thanks ! My credit report is all good and it shows them 1 car loan still pending, so thats not a concern. Only thing is i hope they don't qualify my living rent free as a crime because their form only had "Rent or own", and amount.

In my scenario, if i say rent-free, wouldn't the lender want the LANDLORD to do a VOE? (Which landlord can deny saying i am receiving the money everymonth for this guy not from him but a company check).
It's not a crime to live rent free. No one is going to call the IRS to report your free rent as income.

Tell the bank you did this to save for the home for down payment and closing costs. Hopefully they will see it as a positive and not think that you can't pay rent.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
How on earth would anyone know you don't live w/ 4 other people at your address? Rent-free and on to the next problem. It's when you try to say you are paying rent and you are not, that's when you get into trouble

Old 12-21-2015, 09:34 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanj_16 View Post
I have been paying my credit cards off every damn month always on time, that can also serve as a slap in the face of underwriter regarding my ability to pay...
I'm confused as to why you think having someone else pay your rent in any way shows an underwriter that you have the ability to pay a monthly housing payment?

You've never said how much you charge on your cards that you "pay in full every month". It could be as little as $25, which shows the underwriter nothing.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:49 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
If your aunt is perfectly willing to continue to subsidize your rent, why not ask her to cosign on the mortgage?

Old 12-21-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm confused as to why you think having someone else pay your rent in any way shows an underwriter that you have the ability to pay a monthly housing payment?

You've never said how much you charge on your cards that you "pay in full every month". It could be as little as $25, which shows the underwriter nothing.
Thanks for the insights, my credit card bill in last 12 months was around a total of 10.5k (every single penny paid off on time), it wasn't however a consistent amount every same month though.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
How on earth would anyone know you don't live w/ 4 other people at your address? Rent-free and on to the next problem. It's when you try to say you are paying rent and you are not, that's when you get into trouble
I would not lie to bank on anything that i can't prove via paper-trail, checks, records etc. As per my lease and the landlord living next to my house, there's no one else living ..other than me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages