Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:41 AM

16 posts, read 19,936 times

Advertisements

So my aunt has owned her home for 15 years and about a year ago she has started getting visitors from people stopping by to look at the property to buy it......sounds perfectly fine so far right? Only thing is someone in another part of the country is using her name setting up appointments with buyers and telling them that she has been squatting in the home. Crazy right? This person supposedly has the exact same name as her and has gotten utilities switched out of her name and everything. She has also been receiving letters from whatever agency this person has hired to represent them telling her that she has x amount of days to vacate the premises. Has anyone ever heard of anything so foolish happening before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 05:54 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Get the utilities switched back asap, have them put a fraud alert on it and a password to even discuss the account on the phone so that no one else can. Contact the person doing this and let them know they are committing fraud and will be prosecuted also for elder abuse.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:55 AM

Already done as far as the utilities. She has no idea how to get in contact with this person. Also my aunt is in her late 30's so she isn't elderly. The first 3 people that came to the house called the woman on the phone in front of us and she still claimed to had owned the house. My aunt has all the proof that she needs so she isn't really worried at all but my family and I think that she should be because we find it very weird.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Next time someone comes by, get the phone number from them and give it to the authorities. Next time a letter comes from the people representing the person comes, turn it over to the authorities - they will get in touch with them and find out who hired them quickly enough.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:15 AM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Your aunt needs to do more than just deal with the real estate issue. If this person stole her identity for the house it's really likely her identity is gone for other things (credit card, driver's license, etc.).

Old 12-23-2015, 07:18 AM

577 posts, read 664,046 times
I would check public records to make sure that a fraudulent deed transferring ownership hasn't been recorded.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:20 AM

No the funny thing is that they haven't done any credit card fraud or anything else of that nature. So I don't think they have any of her info besides her name.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
I would check public records to make sure that a fraudulent deed transferring ownership hasn't been recorded.

Yes public records have been checked and there is no transfer of deed since 15 years ago when she purchased. The mortgage company is very concerned about this as well.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plentiful1 View Post
Already done as far as the utilities. She has no idea how to get in contact with this person. Also my aunt is in her late 30's so she isn't elderly. The first 3 people that came to the house called the woman on the phone in front of us and she still claimed to had owned the house. My aunt has all the proof that she needs so she isn't really worried at all but my family and I think that she should be because we find it very weird.
did you ask them for her phone number, and you should have written their plate numbers down and called the cops, if they don't want to assist maybe the cops will help them cooperate.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plentiful1 View Post
This person supposedly has the exact same name as her and has gotten utilities switched out of her name and everything.
If she has a common name it's possible she found someone with her same name to try to scam, or she could have stolen the identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages