Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:28 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,846 times

Advertisements

I've started making offers on real estate again and recently came across an option arm at 2% over 5 years. looking at spending around $200k with a $50k dp. with real estate in the doldrums i can't imagine rates going up anytime soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:43 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,019,881 times
Are you aware of what an option arm is? The 2% is not the interest rate, but it is a payment rate and the loan accures interest at a higher interest rate.

The option arm is a very sophisticated loan and make sure you understand the benefits and drawbacks.

By the way, what lenders is offering option arms?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Famous last words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
I've started making offers on real estate again and recently came across an option arm at 2% over 5 years. looking at spending around $200k with a $50k dp. with real estate in the doldrums i can't imagine rates going up anytime soon
While I won't go so far as to call it madness to get an ARM that might literally be less than half the rate of longer term product, I will strongly advise against thinking that it will easy to refi into something attractive five years out...

There currently an awful lot of folks that have ARMs that probably are stuck with em due to lack of equity. They do not need to refi, as rates are at or below the ARM they have, but when rates rise, and they will, these folks are going to be even more stuck...

I guess what I afraid is not that you are not getting a nice rate (which you are), but that you need to be aware that rates aree likely to be MUCH. Higher in five years AND the home you are purchasing declines in value you might be in bad shape... Without knowing your total financial picture Nor your plans for relocating / selling before the ARM resets I would only caution that prudence demands you evaluate the " worst case scenario"...

Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I won't go so far as to call it madness to get an ARM that might literally be less than half the rate of longer term product, I will strongly advise against thinking that it will easy to refi into something attractive five years out...

There currently an awful lot of folks that have ARMs that probably are stuck with em due to lack of equity. They do not need to refi, as rates are at or below the ARM they have, but when rates rise, and they will, these folks are going to be even more stuck...

I guess what I afraid is not that you are not getting a nice rate (which you are), but that you need to be aware that rates aree likely to be MUCH. Higher in five years AND the home you are purchasing declines in value you might be in bad shape... Without knowing your total financial picture Nor your plans for relocating / selling before the ARM resets I would only caution that prudence demands you evaluate the " worst case scenario"...

was going to buy the place outright but when i saw 2% i got thinking. 5 years later if rates change higher i'll just settle

Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Factor in settlement costs, early termination fees, any junk whatsoever...

Quote:
was going to buy the place outright but when i saw 2% i got thinking. 5 years later if rates change higher i'll just settle
There are some hinky looking loans creeping back into the marketplace. If you go over everything with a fine toothed comb and really can keep hhe full pay off amount working in a safe investment you could end up ahead of the game, but it is not a no- brainer. Then again paying cash, with the current possibility of continued downdrafts in many areas, is far from a no brainer either. Much depends on what your alternatives are and how stable you need / want your life to be....

Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Aren't some loans penalized for early settlement?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:05 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,019,881 times
Quote:

Again, on a option arm, the 2% is not the interest rate. Your payment is based on a 2% interest rate.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 PM

58 posts, read 201,020 times
these products have these intro rates as a bait to hide terrible reality - they are horrible once intro time is over.
this is time to lock in fixed rates, as they are at their lowest in last 30 yrs, so is very very unlikely that rates will be better 5 yrs from now. Whatever buyer is buying if he can't afford it at 4.25% rate, he shouldn't be buying it.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-10-2010 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: edited out reference to deleted post

Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
I find it very hard to beleive that there is an option arm available out there.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
Buy the house with cash money.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-10-2010 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Deleted rude comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages