Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:24 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times

Advertisements

How much of a lender credit are you getting with the new loan?

There has to be a net benefit for the refinance, or the lender is not suppose to close the loan. In other words, he can get into trouble for closing a refinance with little to no benefit for the consumer. HUD started that requirement and its spread throughout the industry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,089 times
Do you get the house at a substantial discount or do improvement to justify appreciation in 6 months? Is "guy to referred" a real estate agent? Did lender say you can refinance with new appraised value? After only 6 months?
Don't be surprised if your file sits for another 6 months.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:15 AM

21 posts, read 18,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
No - - It sounds like you are saying the payoff of your existing loan is $3900 less than your original balance?

By "off the rate," I mean that a lender can seemingly charge no fees for the loan, and it looks "free," but within the interest rate they are charging you is an approved, legal profit margin, which is divvied up among several layers of entities, depending on whether you are using a bank or broker. All legit, all legal.

We call our "par" rate the rate at which we make our approved benchmark of revenue, say, 200 basis points (.02 of the loan amount.) We're not over-charging because we are adhering to our approved revenue benchmark. That revenue, within your 4.125% rate (or any par rate), would be $12,000 if the loan were exactly $600k and if they were at 200 bps (600,000 x .02), and will be split any number of ways among the originator, branch, originator's employer if it's a bank and not a broker, etc.

There are variations of this among lenders (.02 is in not an imposed common margin) but the point I'm over-stating is that there is money in a no-fee loan, and since compensation is based on loan amount, you're a nice big fish, hence the "urgency" involved in your refinance. Trust me, they're not chasing clients who recently closed a difficult $75k loan. (BTW lenders cannot keep a penny over their posted, approved margin anymore, that Yield Spread must be used as a credit TO the borrower's closing costs.)
Got it. So basically they are just making off the $600,000.00 loan, but the downside for us would be that we are not getting refinance at the new lower balance. This is where I am getting confused, because it seems like we are starting from the $600K instead of the current balance.

Should I be getting a better deal starting with existing balance?

Old 01-29-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Do you get the house at a substantial discount or do improvement to justify appreciation in 6 months? Is "guy to referred" a real estate agent? Did lender say you can refinance with new appraised value? After only 6 months?
Don't be surprised if your file sits for another 6 months.
We were fortunate to get the house well below listing. Well the salesman pushing to refinance tells use based on Redfin estimates we are up considerably. We made improvements adding value.

He is basing it on new appraised value. Looked up the salesperson CA id and he is only licensed real estate salesperson, same guy conveying info from lender.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
How much of a lender credit are you getting with the new loan?

There has to be a net benefit for the refinance, or the lender is not suppose to close the loan. In other words, he can get into trouble for closing a refinance with little to no benefit for the consumer. HUD started that requirement and its spread throughout the industry
They are telling us we can save $177 a month with a lower rate at 4.125%. Payback or break even in two years. But I worry that they are getting us elsewhere. Scenario they give us just seems too good to be true.

For instance, salesperson email tells us out of pocket cost will be $600.00 or zero depending on when it closes. Longer it sits, will they start charging fees? I don't know.

Whereas printout from lender shows Estimated Closing Costs $6,221 (includes $3,840 in loan costs + $2,381 in other costs - $0 in Lender Credits). Also, Estimated Cash to Close is $-593,779 (includes closing costs).

Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,089 times
Have you talked directly to the lender?

Old 01-29-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Have you talked directly to the lender?

That will be one of my requests. Never met actual lender. When we bought the house the salespeople just forwarded us the paperwork. This time that will not happen. Wanted to shop further, but my hands were tied. Spouse and I just argued.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:57 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,321,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalfish View Post
Got it. So basically they are just making off the $600,000.00 loan, but the downside for us would be that we are not getting refinance at the new lower balance. This is where I am getting confused, because it seems like we are starting from the $600K instead of the current balance.

Should I be getting a better deal starting with existing balance?
You would refinance the existing balance - - note that the actual existing payoff will be higher than the amount listed on your servicer's website. You can call them and ask for a payoff for a better idea of that amount.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Sorry, I can't find an LTV or a credit score. Closing costs will be about the same, regardless who you use, typically, the lender fees change. But lower rates are quite possible, depending on those items.

If you are only going to be there 10 years, why not a 10/1 (running 3.375% up to 1M with either 80% LTV or 80/10/10, APR 3.152%)? And that is assuming 700 score.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Sorry, I can't find an LTV or a credit score. Closing costs will be about the same, regardless who you use, typically, the lender fees change. But lower rates are quite possible, depending on those items.

If you are only going to be there 10 years, why not a 10/1 (running 3.375% up to 1M with either 80% LTV or 80/10/10, APR 3.152%)? And that is assuming 700 score.
LTV is around 51% and we have always high credit scores (getting approved was never an issue). When we purchased the house, we put more than 40% down. There is probably a better way of doing this, but using Redfin estimate, we are up 14% from when we purchased the home in July.

We bought some time from the pressuring salesman, to look over the material. Salesman is telling us that despite going through all the closing costs we will still come out ahead. Don't really want to go through all these costs again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages