Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:25 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuffy View Post
yeah...never walk into a place looking for credit and have the lender see something before you do. Pulling your own credit once or twice doesn't hurt your score. You can even look up your report from all three bureaus for free! You AND your husband should do it regardless of if he is going to be on the mortgage. You never know what kind of errors might be on there.
It sounds like you your best bet would be to try to do it wi
Why not? The lender will be able to analyze it best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
How about this... save at least $20,000 or 10% to put down in addition to having 6 months of expenses saved up. Then think about buying a house, otherwise you are going to wind up on Foreclosure row just like the hundreds of thousands right now.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
[quote=k374;2798746]How about this... save at least $20,000 or 10% to put down in addition to having 6 months of expenses saved up. Then think about buying a house, otherwise you are going to wind up on Foreclosure row just like the hundreds of thousands right now.[/QU

Why would I end up foreclosed? I am a little confused about this. I am not saying I don't have downpayment- I would rather spend the money elsewhere- have more money in my hand moreorless. My husband and I both have stable jobs that despite not putting down a down payment, we would be able to afford the monthly payments...

Old 02-12-2008, 02:24 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,727 times
[quote=mrshvo;2806213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
How about this... save at least $20,000 or 10% to put down in addition to having 6 months of expenses saved up. Then think about buying a house, otherwise you are going to wind up on Foreclosure row just like the hundreds of thousands right now.[/QU

Why would I end up foreclosed? I am a little confused about this. I am not saying I don't have downpayment- I would rather spend the money elsewhere- have more money in my hand moreorless. My husband and I both have stable jobs that despite not putting down a down payment, we would be able to afford the monthly payments...
If you can make your payments, you won't end up in forclosure. We didn't put any money down for the same reason you stated. We wanted to use the money towards other things for the home. We got an excellent loan at 5.8%. Our house payments are cheaper then what we once paid for rent. I don't buy into the "you must put 20% down" stuff.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM

30 posts, read 37,641 times
We were pre-approved 95% fin for $380K at 5.875% thru our CU
Another program we pre-approved 100% for $417K at 6.15% + 1.75 orig pts.
through an independent broker.

Neither are direct lenders.

That was with $136K income, and mid-scores of 640.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
We got out home no money down 30 year fixed at 6.125%. It was an FHA loan what we did was asked the seller to pay closing cost in return we put an offer in of their asking price plus closing cost so that they would lose nothing off their bottom line.We also qualified for a program called Genesis in which they paid 3% down and it covered the appraisal fee,and several other fees. Here is the Genesis Program website The Genesis Program - About - Down Payment Assistance (http://www.thegenesisprogram.org/whatisgenesis.cfm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages