Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
In my county, it is at the recorder's office, but the clerk should be able to tell you where you can check this. There could be a small fee for pulling the records. Alternately, if you have a real estate agent buddy or a friend who works at a title company, they may be able to look this up for you for no charge.

Edited to add*: Different parts of the country call things by different names. My area calls this a reconveyance, but your area may use a different name. The recorders office should be able to figure out which form you mean if you tell them what you are looking for, and whether there is one recorded against your address.

Quiet title requires an attorney, takes 6 months, and can cost thousands of dollars in legal fees. So yes, only as a last resort.

I see I live in USA California... i have contact the county clerck and they said it still on mortgage status... eventhough it has my name on it, and they ask me to prove that if i have pay it off..

contact the bank (Wels Fargo) and they said they dont have any information about it, and they cant do anything.. in this case i have to the quiet tittle requires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Who you wrote your mortgage payment to.
It use to be Wachovia but now since this bank become Wells Fargo, and its Wells Fargo, and since I paid it off on 2007 they said they dont have any information about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 02:17 PM

44,900 posts, read 59,894,528 times
Part of that deal was the records had to transfer. As I said earlier, you need to start working your way up the food chain. I have to think that CA has one State agency or another with statutory oversight of the mortgage business.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:43 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,361,013 times
That is a tough one. If you had had any balance at all left when the transfer from Wachovia to Wells Fargo took place, Wells would have all your records. But since the loan was paid off, I don't know if they took over records for all prior loans. North Beach Person seems to think they should have. I just don't know. My assumption was that they only took over current loans, not prior loan records, but that could be wrong.

I'd try Wells Fargo back and start the conversation with "I need to talk to whichever department handles the records for old Wachovia mortgage loans from before the merger".

I found the following phone numbers on a website discussing the Wells Fargo purchase of Wachovia loans:
For general banking questions, call 1-800-869-3557 (I think this is the main WF number).
For mortgage or refinancing needs, call 1-877-937-9357.

I'd try both of those numbers, with the conversation starter I posted above.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:03 PM

17 posts, read 15,025 times
I would contact the title company you used to purchase the home and ask them to confirm whether or not the mortgage lien has been cancelled/satisfied/reconveyed. It sounds as if you are not familiar with the process. You may have to pay them to do so. I wouldn't assume a county employee is knowledgeable about real estate law.

In my state most lenders cancel the lien directly with the county register of deeds/county recorder. The letter to you would normally just be a courtesy from the lender acknowledging the receipt of the payoff.

If it is not cancelled, the title company can probably give you some good advice from their experience dealing with the same issue over the years. They can also advise you of alternatives: 1) How well can you document your payoff? Will the title company insure over the uncancelled mortgage lien? 2) My state (North Carolina) has a law that allows attorneys to cancel mortgage liens in certain situations. 3) Is there a state agency (banking agency) that would run interference with Wells Fargo. 4) Quiet title action would be the most expensive and long route.

Continue your quest now. It won't get easier or quicker when you want to refinance or sell the home.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 PM

244 posts, read 664,802 times
What part of CA are you in? If you want to message me your County, I can help you find out where to look to see if a Reconveyance was filed. Some counties will tell you the document number and then you can take that to the Clerk-Recorder's office and get a copy from them.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Part of that deal was the records had to transfer. As I said earlier, you need to start working your way up the food chain. I have to think that CA has one State agency or another with statutory oversight of the mortgage business.

I did contact them and they said to contact clerk-department so i guess maybe i should try the quiet tittle.... but thanks for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
That is a tough one. If you had had any balance at all left when the transfer from Wachovia to Wells Fargo took place, Wells would have all your records. But since the loan was paid off, I don't know if they took over records for all prior loans. North Beach Person seems to think they should have. I just don't know. My assumption was that they only took over current loans, not prior loan records, but that could be wrong.

I'd try Wells Fargo back and start the conversation with "I need to talk to whichever department handles the records for old Wachovia mortgage loans from before the merger".

I found the following phone numbers on a website discussing the Wells Fargo purchase of Wachovia loans:
For general banking questions, call 1-800-869-3557 (I think this is the main WF number).
For mortgage or refinancing needs, call 1-877-937-9357.

I'd try both of those numbers, with the conversation starter I posted above.

I did contact wells fargo many times.. maybe i should try the above number that you gave me... let see then and how it goes, thank you so much for giving the information, i will keep update once i am contact them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz99 View Post
I would contact the title company you used to purchase the home and ask them to confirm whether or not the mortgage lien has been cancelled/satisfied/reconveyed. It sounds as if you are not familiar with the process. You may have to pay them to do so. I wouldn't assume a county employee is knowledgeable about real estate law.

In my state most lenders cancel the lien directly with the county register of deeds/county recorder. The letter to you would normally just be a courtesy from the lender acknowledging the receipt of the payoff.

If it is not cancelled, the title company can probably give you some good advice from their experience dealing with the same issue over the years. They can also advise you of alternatives: 1) How well can you document your payoff? Will the title company insure over the uncancelled mortgage lien? 2) My state (North Carolina) has a law that allows attorneys to cancel mortgage liens in certain situations. 3) Is there a state agency (banking agency) that would run interference with Wells Fargo. 4) Quiet title action would be the most expensive and long route.

Continue your quest now. It won't get easier or quicker when you want to refinance or sell the home.

honestly its my stupid action, i lost all receipt or even the cashier check receipt that i used to pay-off the mortgage, i am not sure if there is any agency that would run interference with wells frago, i guess what i can think of is a lawyer that would able to do so..., for quiet tittle i heard that could cost up to $10 grand.. I know.. I dont feel like waste that money for the house that i have paid it off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
What part of CA are you in? If you want to message me your County, I can help you find out where to look to see if a Reconveyance was filed. Some counties will tell you the document number and then you can take that to the Clerk-Recorder's office and get a copy from them.
btw I did contact the clerk-record on their record it still show that my house is under mortgage... and i have to giving them prove that i paid it off....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages